Need Help with Studio Monitor Placement

ThemBonez

Hello,
Just bought my new JBL LSR308 monitors and very excited.
I need some helping finding the ideal "sweet spot" for the monitors.

The best (and only) room in the house I have available is my 26' x 16' Living Room.
Here is a screencast of a Floorplan of the room I drew with furniture. 2016-04-14_1143 - Xytruin's library
I drew where my workdesk and monitors will be in the room.

The challenge I am having is that the room is somewhat L-Shaped and the workdesk will be in the wider section.
If you look at the floorplan you will see this area has an upright piano on the left and a 6.5 ft. high and 6 ft wide China Cabinet on the right.

I have read that monitors should be 60 in. or 67.5 in. apart....centered in the room.
To determine the center of this part of the room, should I measure the width wall to wall...or should I take into account the Tall China Cabinet and other furniture and measure Left wall to China Cabinet....or piano to china cabinet?

Looking at this floorplan and the existing furniture, where do you think the best placement of the monitors would be?

Also there are many windows in this room and 2 open walkways....will these be factors?

I know its not Ideal, but its the best I have at the moment and want to create the best mix I can with the space I have.

Thank You
Barry

Assuming you can't really move anything around much, and are stuck with using this as a multi-purpose room? Where you've got it drawn is about right. The speakers and your listening position should make an equilateral triangle.
Are you going to be able to add any acoustic treatment (bass traps)?

Thinking of getting some bass traps for 2 corners behind the speakers....that's about all I can do.
DO they need to go floor to ceiling or just at the level of the speakers, cause they all seem to be 2 feet long and about $80 for a pair.

Not sure what you are looking at. Make sure they are at least 4" thick rockwool. You can make your own. Most panels are 2'x4' because the individual slabs of rockwool are that size.
From your diagram, looks like you will not have the monitors too close to the wall behind them? The JBLs have rear-firing bassports, so its important to trap behind them unless you are several feet out from the wall.
As to floor-to-ceiling? The more trapping the better. In all corners!

You've basically nailed it when you can't control other variables (like building your own studio space and listening position). Equidistant from the left and right walls in an equilateral triangle with your head making the point, and don't put your monitors right up against the back wall or you'll have pronounced bass response.

Back