Need Help with Room Treatment

d0gmA

HI all I am new to the forum. I have been reading tons and its time to take the plunge to do some acoustic treatment to my studio space. I have a small area to work with that is 9'1" x 9'6". I am thinking I need to build some superchunk bass traps for the 3 corners and will have to make 1 of them movable so I can get into the closet when needed. I also was thinking I need to make a few panels to cover the walls at the first reflection points. My big questions are should I turn the desk to face the window or leave it as is ? Is there a particular size I need for the bass traps ? I was thinking of doing a 14"x14"x24" trap in each of the three corners. Also would it be good to make a movable trap for the door corner or just leave the door open when i mix ? Thanks for any help anyone can provide me.

room.png

With a room that small, you're screwed! :rolleyes: Your corner bass traps need to go floor to ceiling. What do you have for monitors? Are you recording in this room or just mixing?
With only a 5" difference in dimensions, it really doesn't matter, but I'd say put your desk against the wall with the door, put traps on that wall (even hang them from the back of the door), plus the 'back' corners, and don't forget a ceiling cloud, too.

I am mostly mixing in there however I do lay guitar tracks through POD Farm occasionally. I am using KRK Rocket 5's. I know that the space is screwed but its all I have at the moment. For the panels and cloud I was going to get a pack of Roxul Safe and Sound 3"x14x47 and build panes using 1x3 to frame the insulation and then build the floor to ceiling superchunks using the same insulation.

I am curious why you suggest putting the desk on the wall with the door ?

I am mostly mixing in there however I do lay guitar tracks through POD Farm occasionally. I am using KRK Rocket 5's. I know that the space is screwed but its all I have at the moment. For the panels and cloud I was going to get a pack of Roxul Safe and Sound 3"x14x47 and build panes using 1x3 to frame the insulation and then build the floor to ceiling superchunks using the same insulation.

For me I would leave the set up as it is. You really need symmetry in the set up position and the room is virtually a square anyway.

That said I would agree and go for trapping in every corner and behind you as much as possible

because it would allow you to treat both back corners the same (although one corner trap would need to be movable). Where you have it set up, both back corner traps need to be able tomove out of the way. 3" safe + sound is not good enough by itself except as cloud and first reflection point insulation - it's not dense enough, you'd have to double it up for traps.

I was going to use the 3" stacked from floor to ceiling in 14"x14"x24" triangles built into a frame will that work ?

If that is the case I could put desk on the closet wall and then the back walls could be treated and not need to be movable. Would that make more sense ?

Thanks for your help

I was going to use the 3" stacked from floor to ceiling in 14"x14"x24" triangles built into a frame will that work ?

If that is the case I could put desk on the closet wall and then the back walls could be treated and not need to be movable. Would that make more sense ?

Thanks for your help

yes and yes. But note that your first reflection point trap on one wall will probably be where the window is.

Not a problem if you don't mind the window being blocked by a gobo when you record. Just build it and move it in front of the window during recording and move it away when you're not to use the window...
Also, (I always point this out) don't forget that ceilings have first reflection points...ceiling clouds are a great help.

I had planned on 2 - 14" x 48" panels for the ceiling, 3 for back wall, and 2 for each side wall. I may just cover up the window to make it easier on me as I don't really sit in there and look out the window :D

Home Depot only has 15 1/4 or 16 1/4 wide for the safe and sound. I haven't bought anything so I will look around.

Home Depot only has 15 1/4 or 16 1/4 wide for the safe and sound. I haven't bought anything so I will look around.
I bought mine from Lowe's dude...IIRC, it was about $80 for a bundle.....I do remember they had to special order it for my local store, & it took it about a week to arrive...

Be careful that you're not looking at the soft stuff. Sounds like stud widths for in-wall.

If you don't mind a small wait and some shipping costs, Acoustimac has some great prices on kits. You get the Roxul (or OC703/705 if you prefer) and the pre-built frames and the cover cloth already pre-cut for a really reasonable price. They're in Florida, so the shipping will be less if you live near there...

Back