Need help with hanging guitars off wall

Boeing77W

I've never hung guitars before, but I have 3 guitars, an acoustic, an electric, and a bass, that I would like to hang up. I already bought the hangers and plan to attach them to 2x6 planks which would attach to wall studs. The bottom 2x6 would hold two guitars while the top 2x6 would hold one with the body of the guitar hanging in between the necks of the bottom two. My question is what length of wood screws do I need in order to attach the 2x6s securely to the studs? Is a 4" screw too long?

You've got 2" of 2x6 and maybe a 1/2" of drywall or whatever, so a 4" screw ends up almost halfway through a standard tubafer stud. Probably fine. I found I had to drill pilot holes, but that might have just been my crappy drill. What are using for hangers? I found perfectly usable tool hangers at the hardware store for like $0.50 a piece.

I bought three Fender hangers from a music store, and I'm probably going to drill pilot holes just so the screws can go in easier. But if I'm going to have like half the screw sticking out the other end it wouldn't hurt to use something shorter, would it?

Back