Need help building a addon closet in Garage

espltd

Hey Guys,

I have a studio above my garage, nice big area, very sound reducing/dampened due to the roof walls coming in at an angle. I have also a full size bath and kitchenette in that area so it works great for a recording area. I want to build a closet in the garage, below the studio, but I am having trouble making this a perfect area. I need to have a good soundproof area that reduces the most bleed through from the top floor. Me and my buddies play ridiculously loud heavy metal, screaming vocals, etc.

So my idea is that I want this to be a dual purpose room/closet. I am mainly looking to mic cabs, and do vocals in the closet, but I also want to use it if I were to mic up drums upstairs, I could move everything into the closet and record from there.

I have unlimited space more or less in the garage, at least a 12x12 area. While not wanting to have the full 12x12 area used, which I have 13ft ceilings, I am going to need some advice on what a perfect size would be. I am framing this out, putting up drywall, and need general advice.

Please add to the discussion as best as you can. Any input is great input for me. I want this to be a correct build the first time, mostly reducing as much bleed through as possible from this room, and using it as a dual purpose.

Maybe I need a floating floor? Double walls? Let me know. Also looking for a dimensions.

Thank you,
Phil

Red area is where the closet will ideally go. My truck is usually parked inside, so I am hoping to make the closet the right WxL to get the truck in ~20ft long. This leaves me 12ft for the closet in length if needed.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Any advice?

Double walls, double ceiling? Dimensions? Please help, want to get this sorted asap. Should I just wing it and build the size I need and stuff in double walls/double ceiling and acoustic panels + owens corning 703?

If I get enough blankets in there I should have less bleed through theoretically? lol

Thanks

As a big 'isobox' for amps, its a good idea. Small closets are never good for vocals. Just track your vocals in the big room upstairs after you've tracked the instruments.

Back