Need help with Behringer xenyx q1002usb

Erin R

Okay, so I'm a newbie at this. I have this behringer xenyx q1002usb mixer and behringer 302usb mixer... The problem is, with 302usb I can record just fine.,, k can hear the inputs. But in 1002, I can't hear my voice during recording. It does record it correctly, i just can't hear my voice during record.

Why is this happening? PLEASE HELP.

I'm sorry i'm new at this.. I just use headphones. I use the audacity software from their website.. And i plugged in my condenser mic and headphones in the mixer to try and record.. I can hear my voice when i'm not recording but when i press record, i can no longer hear it

Headphones plugged into the mixer is the usual way to do it. If you disconnect the mixer's USB can you still hear the inputs?

When the "to main mix" button is pressed and "to phones/ctrl rm" is not, i can hear the track and my voice, but it does not record my voice.

When the "to phones/ctrl rm" is pressed and "to main mix" button is not, i can hear the track but not my voice, however it records my voice correctly.

When both are pressed, can't hear my voice, and it does not record it, but i can hear the track playing

is it about the setup? i'm sorry i'm new at using this..

Some of the smaller USB mixers simply aren't designed for overdubbing as you're trying to do, they're designed to capture a live mix that may or may not include playback from the computer. You may be able to get by using software input monitoring, but that usually adds latency and you may need better software than Audacity.

Oh i see.. but how come I can record with my xenyx 302usb? Can you please suggest an good software? Thank you so much...

As I said, some won't do overdubbing, which means that some will. But I wasn't motivated to read the manual for you so maybe I'm missing something.

I would get Reaper. It's free to try and affordable to buy.

And then sell one of the Behrs (or both) and get an audio interface. Mixers are for mixing (primarily live sound). Audio interfaces are for recording.

mjbphotos,

Not sure that I would agree with your blanket quote

And then sell one of the Behrs (or both) and get an audio interface. Mixers are for mixing (primarily live sound). Audio interfaces are for recording.

Mixers are for capturing the output of one or more devices (microphone, DI, etc) and then (depending upon the mixer size, recorder inputs, etc) possibly blending (mixing) these together and then sending the output to another device (DAW,PA Amps, actual tape recorder etc).

For example in my case I have a 96 chnl mixer (fully automated, digital) with the outputs going to two frame accurately synced 24-track digital recorders. I can also output the mixer to a DAW if I stupidly (!!!!!) choose.

Sure, I agree that for the majority of participants on this forum, where only (say) one thing is recorder at a time, then a good quality audio interface is probably the way to go and I would suggest that this have USB outputs.

I am not sure that I would be using Audacity as my main DAW as it can be a bit "flakey" at times and is a bit limited in its features. I would possibly suggest something like one of the "give away" versions of something like Cubase as a first DAW and then as knowledge is gained progress to something more serious.

David

Whilst I would agree that the beginner is almost always better off getting a decent Audio Interface (not a Solo or 2i2 IMHO) I do not think the devices should be condemned out of hand as is so often the case.

To say a mixer "mixes" sound sources is patently untrue in the case od say the very popular Xenyx 802 since it has but two mic inputs and outputs a two channel signal!

Then, many people have multiple sources, CD, amp line OP, pod/phone,synth, drum machine, even a cassette recorder/turntable connected to a hi fi system and it is most convenient to have such sources connected to a mixer's line inputs. The mixer still does not mix (tho it might) but becomes a "source selector". A piece of gear that hardly seems to exist in any other form AFAIK? This setup might well suit your Podcaster?

Dave.

Nothing from the OP indicates he is podcasting. USB mixers typically only have 16 bit A/D/A converters, and if they don't have a dedicated USB volume control, they can be noisy (high pitched 'hum' embedded in the signal). The fact is he can't monitor himself with the Q1002, so a true interface would, at the very least, give him that needed option.
Not saying mixers don't have their places (I've got Mackie and Behr mixers, BTW), but as a recording interface, they are not the ideal option for the home recordist.

Back