Need help

effect2g

Well this is my first post and I am really new to this whole thing so let me just begin:

Long story short my brother used to live with me and he had a Behringer mixer and 2 M-Audio BX5's. I loved the sound that studio monitors had, so I wanted to get my own setup (my brother moved 3 years ago).
I found a deal on a Behringer Truth B3031A (single monitor) on craigslist for cheap with the intention of buying another to complete the set. I also found a Behringer Xenyx 1002B mixer to use as an interface between the monitors and my PC.

Current problem:
The sound is really, really, really low and muffled. I have the RCA chords running to my PC, and a 1/4 cable running to the monitor through the Xenyx interface. I have messed with every knob, changed every input, messed with every everything and I can't figure this out. What I was told from the guy who sold me the mixer is that it is an "unpowered" mixer and that is my problem. He said I might need an amp to get this setup to work the way that I want it to.

Essentially I just need help. I don't know what direction to go in. Are there mixers that I can buy that have an amp in them (I'm not sure if my brothers old setup had a mixer with an amp built in) or do I just need an amp? I'm not exactly in a rush, but money is kind of tight, and I am just trying to find the cheapest fix to get this monitor (and my future monitor) to run properly.

I know these questions are absolutely amateur and I might be posting in the wrong forum, so I apologize. But any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

I don't know the specific answer to your hookup issue but...... The monitor I am pretty sure is a powered monitor.
Edit: it is a powerful monitor. It needs no amp.

Mixers for recording are not powered. Only lower end old mixers sometimes had a built in power amplifier, and were designed for rehearsal or small club gigs.

I know nothing about your mixer as to its capabilities as an interface, but usually some recording interface is needed.

I'm sure there's someone with experience with your setup that can help you more than I.

Thanks for the response, RFR.

I also wanted to mention that the sound card I am running is the HT Omega Eclaro.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, RFR.

I also wanted to mention that the sound card I am running is the HT Omega Eclaro.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There's your problem. What you want is an audio interface. A mixer is for mixing (good for live work, not so good for recording). I suspect your bro had a Behr mixer with USB output. Read this thread and this thread. And don't take ANY advice from the guy who told you that you need a powered mixer!

Back