Need Advice

sausy1981

My studio is a very small room, approx. 7ft by 10ft, I've been trying to treat my room properly, I was wondering about a couple of things,
1. Would pillows (you know the type you sleep on) be effective as bass traps if they are mounted where the wall meets the ceiling,
2. If I run a mirror along my side wall and and place absorbers where I can see my monitors from my listening position, will this be enough, or should I place more absorbers on the walls at other positions to make the room more dead.
3. My room is approx 8ft high, what advice would you have for putting some diffuser or absorber over my listening position.

Hi Ethan, Thanks for your advice, you help a lot of guys in these forums and elsewhere. As we recently had a baby my budget doesn't extend to buying proper acoustic panels and treatment at the moment and I was going down the diy route for now. I was wondering about bass traps. I've done extensive research and can't decide on the best route for me. My room is 78 inches wide, 100 inches long and 96 inches high, So quiet small, I'm ok with hanging mid to high range absorbers on the walls but I am wodering about my corners, I am undecided on 2 types of bass trap to build. I am only able to have an 18inch face in the corners.
1. Straddle an 18" wide bass trap built with 4" thick rigid insulation slab across the corner.
2. Fill the corner completley with loose insulation which would have an 18" face. So from the face to the apex of the corner would be 1ft of loos insulation.
Which way would you suggest, I really wanna get this right.
Also next summer I plan on building my own studio in my back garden and was wondering if real traps deliver to Ireland?
Thanks Ethan

I am undecided on 2 types of bass trap to build. I am only able to have an 18inch face in the corners.

Option 1 and 2 will perform similarly, but option 2 is probably less expensive and might be a tiny bit better. But I'd make the front face at least 24 inches across if possible. Even wider is better still. A corner trap doesn't have to be perfectly symmetrical. If you have a door or window near the corner on one side but not the other, build the trap(s) at an angle to cover more of the wall with more clearance.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan, Option 2 was what I was hoping to build. I've spent days watching your videos and reading your articles. Your help and advice to people is brilliant and much appreciated. Thank you very much.

This is how my room looks now, I have built 2 bass traps for the corners, I built a 2 frames, 15" against both walls and joined across then I wrapped the frames in sheet and filled with rockwool loft insulation, wat I did with the insulation was roll it out and cut it into triangles and stacked the triangles on top of each other in the trangular frame, then i mounted them in the corner of my room behind the monitors, I have 2 absorbtion panels on each side wall in the reflection points both 4" deep of rockwool loft insulation.
Bass trap left 2.JPGBass Trap left.JPGBass trap right 2.JPGBass trap right.JPG

Back