Near field monitors in narrow room - Front port vs rear port

pure.fusion

Hey all,

Can I get some advice on rear ported monitors in my small home setup?

Currently I've got 2 x KRK 6 (G2's) with first reflections in the room treated.

Unfortunately the monitors sit 800mm (2"7') from the side walls and about 600mm (2") from the front wall - So quite pushed into the corner of the room.

I understand this is not optimal but it's not really a problem for my uses - I've been mixing music on them for 5 or so years and they seem to be ok as a reference - the mix seems to travel to other speakers and devices well, so it can't be that bad.

One KRK just died and I'm looking for a new pair of monitors. I was looking at the Yamaha HS7s reviews seeing comments like "The rear-mounted port prevents optimal placement in smaller studios".

You think I should be avoiding rear ports?

I'm not sure in understand speaker ports fully. If it's a case of extra bass response then the Yamahas can adjust for that. There's been option for bass adjustment on the front ported KRKs and they've been fine sd reference.

Any help appreciated

FM

To be honest man, I think it is bullshit personally. The port is only there to get the best frequency response from the woofer. It not like it throwing out low end frequencies that you will miss to the wall behind. A port is used to control the optimum Q for the speaker. In basic terms it controls the movement of the speaker cone in the enclosure to optimize it's ability to accurately produce low end frequencies without ripping itself to shreds.

Someone may chime in and tell me I am wrong, but I would say don't worry about it.

The owners guide for my old Tannoy Reveals advised plugging rear firing ports when close to a wall to prevent phase issues from reflections. I tried it when I had them in a smaller room but with treatment on the wall so I don't really think it made much difference. Now they're approx. 3 feet so I leave them open. I guess you could try it to see if you hear any difference but I guess the point is Tannoy didn't claim that you needed to have x size room or x space behind, just plug port if needed. So I say go for it

Back