Near-Field Monitor Stands at Atypical Mix Position

aspsa

I am in the market for near-field monitors, but my question concerns their mix position. My setup is such that I have a pair of Slate Media Technology Raven MTi2 touchscreen monitors at the mix position, and the positioning interferes with a standard vertical height near-field monitor placement. Unfortunately, re-positioning the MTi2s is not an option.

I understand an alternative to typical near-field monitor positioning is to elevate the monitors on stands and then tilt them forward in a downward direction such that the monitors’ tweeters fire at a downward angle onto the optimal mix position. One other option is to use a wall-bracketed arrangement. However, I will avoid wall-bracketing for two reasons: (1) my console desk is not near a wall; (2) keeping the monitors near a wall produces the speaker boundary effect.

While I as yet have not precisely measured distance and angle to the mix position, I estimate the monitor stands to be six feet back from the mix position. Each near-field monitor stand requires a height that accommodates a downward frontal tilt of about the fifteen to twenty degrees. I estimate this degree of tilt is needed for the direct sound to clear the MTi2s and to fix upon the optimal mix position.

My concern is two-fold. First, is this a safe configuration, even with well-designed, sturdy stands? Second, if such a stand exists, does its tilt-locking mechanism meet the weight requirements of a good quality monitor? Also, how does the stand secure a near-field monitor to prevent it from sliding off of it when tilted forward?

I welcome your views on setup and near-field monitor stand product recommendations.

Thank you.

There's nothing inherently wrong with tilting (either up or down) the monitors, so long as the focus is on your listening position.

The two things you will have to overcome are security and stability. By moving the front edge of your speakers backwards as you tilt them forward, you can keep the centre of gravity around the centre of their supports, and thus you can tilt the speaker to, say, 45 degrees without affecting the stability of the whole system. You do, though, have to figure out how to keep them in that position.

Thanks for the replies, miroslav and gecko zzed. I've been searching for a commercial product that can accommodate both variable height and the downward tilt capability described in this thread. Unfortunately, I have come across near-field monitor stands with a variable height adjustment capability only. Are you aware of any commercially available near-field monitor stands that additionally accommodate the tilting and monitoring-securing capabilities?

Thanks for the replies, miroslav and gecko zzed. I've been searching for a commercial product that can accommodate both variable height and the downward tilt capability described in this thread. Unfortunately, I have come across near-field monitor stands with a variable height adjustment capability only. Are you aware of any commercially available near-field monitor stands that additionally accommodate the tilting and monitoring-securing capabilities?
I guess it's too soon for you to post a picture, but can you describe the triangle you are planning to form with the speakers and you, and the height (approx) where your ears will be and why the speakers can't be at that height? Do you actually have something at ear height that will block line-of-sound for a speaker at a 30 degree angle on each side? Seems huge! (I guess 2 x 27" side-by-side monitors could present a problem, but just want to clarify how far they'll be from you while listening.)

P.S. I think you will have to build something.

I was wondering Keith's questions, too. 6 feet from mix position, means teyhey are going to be 3 feet behind the monitors - sound disperses, its going to hit the back of the monitors and start bouncing around right away, even if you have them mounted high.

15 to 20 degrees down is a lot.

You can get these Primacoustic Recoil stabilizers with either a downward or upward tilt option, but it's only 5 degrees.

Recoil Stabilizers | Primacoustic

The other option is to flip the monitors upside down so that the tweeters are on the bottom and speaker on top...perfectly acceptable. I actually run my Focal Twins with the LF speaker at the top.
If flipping will put the tweeter more at your ear level, it might be better than angling....but it sounds like you're just trying to come over the top of your display screens...so flipping might not have much effect.

You really want to avoid angling them down that much, because it will mess with the off-axis response as you move forward and back at your listening position. When they are flat positioned, the movement doesn't mess with the off axis response. Go search out Ethan Winer's acoustic website and monitor placement tips...and he will confirm that...which is why the Primacoustic Recoils only do 5 degrees, as that's not enough to cause a problem...15-20 is quite a lot.

So while you say you can't change the touchscreens...I think you have to really consider that the speaker monitors and room are the most important part of your studio setup if mixing/mastering is a critical part of your studio work.
IOW...where there's a need, you just have to find a way and make the changes and adjustment to get to the best-case scenario...as best as you can.
Don't get me wrong, I place a lot of importance on studio aesthetics and workflow comfort...but sometimes, you can't have it like you want it, and you have to choose what will be sacrificed.

Your monitor speakers are more important than your monitor screens.
If you have to compromise, do so on your visuals.

Last edited:
Did I miss it, or did you not post what type of studio monitors you're using? How heavy are they? There's a lot of wall mounting solutions for home theater setups... the only issue is those are speakers and not usually amplified speakers, so they weigh considerably less.

So while you say you can't change the touchscreens...I think you have to really consider that the speaker monitors and room are the most important part of your studio setup if mixing/mastering is a critical part of your studio work.
IOW...where there's a need, you just have to find a way and make the changes and adjustment to get to the best-case scenario...as best as you can.
Don't get me wrong, I place a lot of importance on studio aesthetics and workflow comfort...but sometimes, you can't have it like you want it, and you have to choose what will be sacrificed.

This would be my suggestion as well, if put to a vote.

To tell the truth...I don't understand what the problem is with putting the monitors on either side of the two Raven MTi2 displays.
They are onl7 27" screens...27 +27 = 54"
The optimum speaker monitor setup calls for 67.5" tweeter center to center...so there should be no problem having the two MTi2 displays sandwiched by the speaker monitors, and placed flat....rather than trying to come up over the top of them.

The other thing...most people have the Raven displays angled well down, since they are touchscreens, rather than up, like typical display monitors...and in that setup, you are able to have them down lower, with the speaker monitors up over them, and still at the optimal ear height.

Back