Near Field and Main Monitor Stands - Spikes or Rubber Feet?

DigitalDon

I've built the stands (all wood) for the near field monitors (M-Audio SP-8's)and I'm about to build stands for my main monitors (JBL 4311's). My question is: Should I put "spikes" or rubber feet on the bottom of the stands? Is there a benefit of one over the other? Both are readily available and about the same price. My floor is painted concrete. The speakers will have MoPads or some other decoupler between them and the stands.

DD

The spikes are better because of minimal point of contact with the floor - meaning less transferance of vibration...

If you have the spikes then you don't need to worry about decoupling with MoPads... the spikes are far more effective.

Another view is to bolt the buggers with 1/2" by 6" lag bolts and get mopads for decoupling. Thats if your a decoupler verses nondecoupler. Don't put Spikes If Your in A Wood Floored Studio :)

Im still using mouse pads. My monitors sit on a meter bridge shelf. Im going to have my broter -in-law weld up some 6" square steel tube ones filled with sand after I get the integrated console desk built. Then Im sitting them on stilleto's :) If I get my way, were going to make the stands look like torture devices :eek:

SoMm

Hey guys,
Pardon my ignorance, but enlighten me as to what is a "spike"?
I'm in the middle of a huge studio building project, and we are
doing the control room right now, so this has got my attention.

Thanks,
Sky Pilot

Here ya go http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=139
If you make your own speaker monitor stands you'll need something underneath instead of wood sitting on the floor. The spikes are adjustable too so you can level the stands. Tends to decouple the stand and thus the speakers from the floor by having a much smaller surface area contacting the floor. I've read the decoupling improves the speaker bass response and reduces resonation.

DD

Back