Mysterious Acoustic Tile. Whats your take?

mikeeb

Whats the best RAP MIC??!
Hey guys.
A friend of mine recently brought over about 30-40 of these "Acoustic wall, Ceiling and Partition Systems".
These are in many different ranges of thicknesses.

Some are 2'' thick, some are 1'' thick, and some are somewhere in between. Some of these are made of what seems to be vinyl, while most others are fabric covered.

They state that they are acoustic panels, and most are about a foot 1''x1''. I found their website of these things abortions, and while many of you understand this stuff, it is confusing to me.

Here it is
http://www.corporateacoustics.com/CA...datonsNEW.html

I just want to know if this stuff is any good for anything, and what would it be good for?

I got this off their website, so I feel like these things may not be as great as I hoped.

"SoundAdvice"

"Our panels are very effective absorbers of unwanted air borne sounds.
The panels are applied to the walls and/or ceiling of the space in which these sounds are being produced.
If provided in sufficient coverage, for example, the clarity of speech can be vastly improved.
In fact, just about any space can be "deadened" by the application of our panels.
So, if this is a requirement, please contact us for some practical suggestions.
However, conference facilities, performing arts, sound studios, etc. are projects best left for an acoustician's careful examination before procuring panels like ours because they can be far from simplistic, often requiring a range of complex acoustical issues such as careful attention to not providing too much sound absorption across the frequency spectrum, prevention of sound transmission and improving acoustical privacy.
For example, suppose, at great expense, one constructs some very "sound proofed" walls enclosing a CEO's private office.
However, will it be any surprise if news of a impending merger or company “down sizing” goes galloping through a common duct between his office and the nearby mail room."

Let me know what you think, please. Thanks guys!!!

EDIT::

Alright guys. I need someone in here that can help me out. I just looked up the specs for a Auralex 1x1 wedge, that was 2'' thick and got these numbers

OTHER BRAND

250 Hz 0.95

500 Hz 1.15

1000 Hz 1.08

2000 Hz 1.06

4000 Hz 1.00

N.R.C. 1.05

Auralex Wedgies 1x1 Acoustic Foam Studio Soundproofing

125 Hz .15
250 Hz .21
500 Hz .70
1 KHz .99
2 KHz 1.05
4 KHz 1.05
Overall .75

From what it says here, the Auralex is crushed in the lower frequencies by the other tiles my friend gave me. Wouldn't this help?

Back