My studio under construction

Yeah it's handy enough.
I used old skirting off cuts, reclaimed modesty blocks and dust sheets/old bedsheets.
Only cost was the actual rock wool.

the material needs to be 30 inches wide for the front and back side to allow for stapling and trimming, I found a roll of burlap, 42 inches wide, 100 yards long on Ebay for 100.00. it's pretty good quality. I was holding my breath until I received it. So now I have all of the materials to start building the traps. I spent the last 2 days staining the wood for the frames. I got 60 1x4x8s and 10 1x6x10s for 150.00 at a local lumber yard. Lowes wanted 8 bucks a board for the 1x4s. I will start building the frames this week. :D

the material needs to be 30 inches wide for the front and back side to allow for stapling and trimming, I found a roll of burlap, 42 inches wide, 100 yards long on Ebay for 100.00. it's pretty good quality. I was holding my breath until I received it. So now I have all of the materials to start building the traps. I spent the last 2 days staining the wood for the frames. I got 60 1x4x8s and 10 1x6x10s for 150.00 at a local lumber yard. Lowes wanted 8 bucks a board for the 1x4s. I will start building the frames this week. :D

Are you wrapping the rockwool inside the frames? (Wondering why you are staining the wood). I just stretched the burlap around/over the wood frames, stapled on the back sides. Don't have to worry about crappy wood - chipped edges, knots, mis-matched corners, etc.

Nice space for a studio. Totally jealous. I agree with the others that your mixing room is too small. The rockwool will help a lot.

I didn't build frames for my panels. Just wrapped and hung them. But I get why people like frames; they do look good.

Keep the updates coming.

Are you wrapping the rockwool inside the frames? (Wondering why you are staining the wood). I just stretched the burlap around/over the wood frames, stapled on the back sides. Don't have to worry about crappy wood - chipped edges, knots, mis-matched corners, etc.

I placing fabric inside the frame, then stapling it, laying the rockwool inside and covering the back side. when I hang the panel I will have an inch from the backside of the panel to the wall.

Nice space for a studio. Totally jealous. I agree with the others that your mixing room is too small. The rockwool will help a lot.

I didn't build frames for my panels. Just wrapped and hung them. But I get why people like frames; they do look good.

Keep the updates coming.

the frames are finished! for the main room anyway. I still have to build the frames for the control room, but since it is small I will build 16 inch by 48 inch frames for it. I am sick of staining! :D

Attachments

• frames 3.jpg
    frames 3.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 86
this the revised layout, for the wall panels, should I stagger them as far as height is concerned? for the control I plan on putting a panel anywhere I can fit one. Thanks:D

Attachments

• Layout ver 2.pdf
    98.5 KB · Views: 15
How do you even squeeze behind the desk in that 'control room'? I certainly would not want to try mixing in it!

How do you even squeeze behind the desk in that 'control room'? I certainly would not want to try mixing in it!

LOL, its not to scale, I have about 2 feet from the back wall to the desk, I guess Im just used to it. as far as mixing in it, now that the mixer is gone I have plenty of room for drinks!:D

I have about 2 feet from the back wall to the desk
That's what I figured. That's not much room! I wouldn't be able to push my leather desk chair back far enough to get out of it in that space. Look slike you've filled all the wall space/corners you can with trapping, but its not a symmetrical layout, so the stereo image may be really skewed.

the walls are complete. on to ceilings next.:D

Attachments

• walls 1.jpg
    walls 1.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 267
  • walls 2.jpg
    walls 2.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 267
  • walls 3.jpg
    walls 3.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 266
  • walls 4.jpg
    walls 4.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 266
  • walls 5.jpg
    walls 5.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 264
Are those speakers on the small shelf at the top of the wall with the keyboard? Are you trying to boost their bass response by putting them in an untreated corner? The shelf itself creates another 'corner' to bounce bass waves.

they are Bose 301s. I use them for playback and just to listen to music. I am going to also use them for talkback when I get around to setting it up. Thanks

Ceiling clouds are done!:D

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 223
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 222
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 223
  • C4.jpg
    C4.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 223
Starting to look wonderful. Needs a coat of paint or two in spots. Maybe you could get the wife to pick out some wall paper...:D
Are you planning any QRDs? I guess that will depend on how well the damping works from the panels, huh? I did just a bit behind my head when all was said and done to drive away some 800-1200 Hz problems. Worked wonderfully.

Bass problems went away with the traps (corners behind the mid fields and ceiling/wall behind me. Echos went away with the side walls (primary reflections). Flutter went away with the ceiling clouds. Hung more panels on the walls behind me, but still had the mid problem, so I built some simple diffusers from 1.5x1.5" on 18x18" pieces of plywood. Measured the lengths according to a program I downloaded (but don't remember the name of) and POW, no more problems. Lot of gluing, though. :)

Thanks! the main room was just painted, my girlfriend picked the color. have to admit I was not a big fan at first. but the colors came together with the traps. I am pleased with it. I dont think I am painting the control room. I like the contrast. as to wall paper? I will slit my wrist 1st! The worst fight me and the EX ever had was hanging wall paper.:laughings: I still have to figure out how to cram a couple of corner traps in the control room. it has made a big difference in the main room, I can tell by playing my drums it is much better. I hope to record some stuff this weekend. I have some more roxul panels ordered. I still may put some 2x2 traps in above the existing wall traps. :D

Funny how wives always want to involve you in the process of wallpapering a room, then come completely unglued when the realize what it takes to actually DO it. My wife and I did a kitchen in our first home and I am glad to stay we're still together, but at the time it was pretty touch and go...we did a wallpaper border and chair rail in our last house. That was actually not too bad, but wallpapering an entire room again. I'm with you. Not on my life. The kitchen in our new home has wallpaper that's falling apart and I'm just going to yank it and sand it and paint...NOT playing. :)

Back