My studio project thread

Enchilada

Strange person.
Hi all,

I hope nobody has a problem with this. I thought I would start my own thread and post updates on my studio I am building. I have a premises so we are at phase one for now.

I will be moving gear into the shed gradually and will post updates as time goes on. The small room will be used for tracking where the rest of the shed will be used for bands to practice and for mixing.

Basically, the reason for going with a shed is cheap rent. It only costs AU$286/month total and I share the rent with a band who also use this shed for practice.

Here are some photos of what it looks like bare. I will upload photos with the limited amount of gear I have moved in soon so stay tuned.

Ench

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 753
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 733
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 744
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:
I am so upset that you started your own thread. :D

Actually I am very happy for you and I dream of the day that I can have my own little place where I can have that.

I can't wait to see the progress. And the final result of course.

Yup, keep the pics coming. Just keep updating this thread.

It's going to be fun!!!

Wow, bathroom and kitchenette? I'd live there too! :)

Are you worried about that other band being in there and stealing/damaging your gear?

Is the shed you're using a storage unit? If so I'd check the rental agreement EXTREMELY carefully. A lot of those have some very specific regulations, and any (even imagined) violation may mean all your stuff becomes the owner's.

Example, rent being only one day late may mean the owner of the shed can seize everything. And if your stuff is worth more than the rent, they aint gonna give it back.

Is the shed you're using a storage unit? If so I'd check the rental agreement EXTREMELY carefully. A lot of those have some very specific regulations, and any (even imagined) violation may mean all your stuff becomes the owner's.

Example, rent being only one day late may mean the owner of the shed can seize everything. And if your stuff is worth more than the rent, they aint gonna give it back.

Yeah I did notice that in the contract. The only instance where that would be applicable is late payment of rent by (I think) 60 days.

OK, I figure it's about time I post some pics here :)

Here's my PC (Phenon II CPU, 3GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 1010 2 x 500GB HDD) with a few bits of gear which are all connected via MIDI (old Akai synth module and Akai XR-20 and Akai MPC-2000). The turntable is a Technics SL-1200 Mk II, mixer is a Vestax PMC-06 Pro A. Monitors are Samson Resolv. I use the little Berry mixer for sampling into the MPC and Bass DI through a little red Korg thing. Not pictured is my Berry Multicom compressor and presonus bluetube preamp. I've also been using a Presunus Firepod.
gearsetup.jpg

Now for what I've been up to today, once the glue has dried I'll paint it and mount it on the ceiling to help when recording drums with X/Y overheads :)
How it all began...
IMAG0022.jpg

Progress...
IMAG0021.jpg

More progress...
IMAG0023.jpg

One finished skyline diffuser
IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

Interesting.... will the drummer get a hard hat? One of those bits is bound to fall off! :)

Ha! They're actually on there pretty well. I don't think thery will fall. I didn't just glue the bottoms, I also glued the sides of the blocks together :). I do plan in nailing a selections of the blocks though to help give it extra strength.

I've been working on my renovated basement studio. I'm worried about humidity though! I'm pretty sure a dehumidifier will work for the high humidity problems. This issue in basements is an inherent problem because cooler temperatures below ground tend to attract outside humidity. Can anyone suggest a dehumidifier brand? Does anyone have experience with dehumidifierexperts.com? I would love to get some information before I look into it further. Thanks for any advice you all can offer.

Back