My Studio Construction Thread

Embarrassed to say, I don't know how to use sketchup.
No prob. I was just interested to see what you are planning.

The mix position is located about 30% back into the length of the room.
I take it your monitors will be freestanding? When the interior is finished, do a full size layout in chalk or something on the concrete, showing your speaker dimensions full scale(in plan), and your equalateral triangle between the monitors and to the mix position(the apex of the triangle should be about 12 to 18" behind your head when sitting at the mix position). Take measurements and do a scaled layout on paper for re implementing the layout for real once the finish floor and treatments are in place. This way, you don't have to fuck with the finish floor. Masking tape works well on the finish floor.
fitZ

BTW, if you want, I'll do a layout for posting here if you can provide some info.

Oh, another thing. If you are going to be hanging things from walls etc, you might plan on using MDF panels or blocking behind the drywall, although if decoupled drywall is planned, some planning on how to decouple the blocking/panels is in order. As usual, PLANNING to the extreme is in order here.

No prob. I was just interested to see what you are planning.

I take it your monitors will be freestanding? When the interior is finished, do a full size layout in chalk or something on the concrete, showing your speaker dimensions full scale(in plan), and your equalateral triangle between the monitors and to the mix position(the apex of the triangle should be about 12 to 18" behind your head when sitting at the mix position). Take measurements and do a scaled layout on paper for re implementing the layout for real once the finish floor and treatments are in place. This way, you don't have to fuck with the finish floor. Masking tape works well on the finish floor.
fitZ

BTW, if you want, I'll do a layout for posting here if you can provide some info.

Oh, another thing. If you are going to be hanging things from walls etc, you might plan on using MDF panels or blocking behind the drywall, although if decoupled drywall is planned, some planning on how to decouple the blocking/panels is in order. As usual, PLANNING to the extreme is in order here.

I will take you up on that, bro.

The best thing about this room is that noise is not an issue for the neighbors; they like me, and music is not a problem. I don't have to spend too much time worrying about isolation, and can worry about treatment, instead.

The room, as I have stated, is 16'w X 25'l x 10-12' h (peaked ceiling)

The floors are to be laminate. there are two plugs on the floor four feet from the mixing wall and 18" apart. These will be just behind the desk. The monitors are freestanding and will be on stands. In fact, the whole desk will be semi-mobile, so making adjustments won't be an issue.

I haven't got someone to drink beer and glare at the neighbors.
:eek:I'll be right down. I have credentials and tons of experience as a pro beer drinker/glarer :D Besides, I used to live in Sac. I know how to handle those Sacratomatoans. Plus glaring is my specialty.:D

I will take you up on that, bro.
Ok. Just a simple Autocad plan to show what I was saying. Unless someone else jumps in before I do, I'll do it tonight. What are the top dimensions of your monitors, and your console/mixing station?
fitZ

:eek:I'll be right down. I have credentials and tons of experience as a pro beer drinker/glarer :D Besides, I used to live in Sac. I know how to handle those Sacratomatoans. Plus glaring is my specialty.:D

Ok. Just a simple Autocad plan to show what I was saying. Unless someone else jumps in before I do, I'll do it tonight. What are the top dimensions of your monitors, and your console/mixing station?
fitZ

I'll have to dig out the speaks tomorrow. Thanks, dude.

I just ordered 58 ready traps. 44 of them are chameleon traps. Four of the super bass trap kits for the wall to ceiling corners, and six HF panels for early reflection clean-up around the mixing position. I figure they will probably end up on the ceiling. I'll likely use four of the chameleon traps as gobos, as well.

On the T111 what are you using for paint ? Mine is vinyl sided but I have a shed that is T111 siding and I used a Dutch Boy paint made for that type of application. It was a little higher than others, but I did the shed 12 years ago and still looks great !!!. Here is an outside of my hide out: 64' x 30'

063.jpg

Roof is done

Electrical goes in tomorrow. I'm going with a Mitsubishi split-duct air conditioner, the compressor will be on a separate slab behind the structure.

Picked out the flooring and the paint on Sunday, and the panels and desk are on the way. I picked out a couple of choice rack goodies too. Pics to follow.

Insulation and Drywall

To start this morning. It doesn't look like it, but we are nearing completion within a couple of weeks.

The bass traps and the new desk should be here today.

Last edited:
Drywall is starting to go in today.

Things will slow down for the christmas week, but we are in the home stretch.

I just want you to know I've been following this thread as many others have, I just haven't posted anything yet, most my questions have been answered. Anyways, looks great, and looking forward to seeing more pictures, and Rick's drawing, although that seems like a while ago he said he'd draw something up.

I just want you to know I've been following this thread as many others have, I just haven't posted anything yet, most my questions have been answered. Anyways, looks great, and looking forward to seeing more pictures, and Rick's drawing, although that seems like a while ago he said he'd draw something up.

Rick's waiting on me to provide measurements.

Thanks for following along, I'm happy to tell you anything I know about it.

Anyways, looks great, and looking forward to seeing more pictures, and Rick's drawing, although that seems like a while ago he said he'd draw something up.
Rick's waiting on me to provide measurements.
:D Actually, at this point I don't know what good it will do other than illustrating a monitoring "equalateral triangle", using your speaker dim's as a starting point. You've mentioned your mixing station is going to be mobile, which would make for easy placement. In my case, my mixer/console is EXTREMELY heavy and quite large, and had to be precisely positioned relative to the soffits, to achieve the equalateral triangle I desired, PRIOR to building the soffits. Hence the need for monitor dimensions.

On another note, I've ran across threads from people who had VERY LARGE speaker enclosures, that did NOT allow them to achieve an equalateral triangle relative to the existing dimensions of their room. No matter what I did to illustrate it to them, they "didn't get it". Hence my offer. No matter though, I'll still do it. It may or may not help you, as I'm sure you already have in mind what you are trying to do. Hell, no matter how hard I tried to illustrate the principle to some people, they STILL put their mixing position IN A CORNER!:rolleyes: Oh well, to each his own.:D BTW, here is an illustration to illustrate the EQUALATERAL TRIANGLE FACTORS. Maybe it will help SOMEONE.:p

fitZ

Attachments

• TriangleFactors.gif
    TriangleFactors.gif
    16 KB · Views: 699
:D Actually, at this point I don't know what good it will do other than illustrating a monitoring "equalateral triangle", using your speaker dim's as a starting point. You've mentioned your mixing station is going to be mobile, which would make for easy placement. In my case, my mixer/console is EXTREMELY heavy and quite large, and had to be precisely positioned relative to the soffits, to achieve the equalateral triangle I desired, PRIOR to building the soffits. Hence the need for monitor dimensions.

On another note, I've ran across threads from people who had VERY LARGE speaker enclosures, that did NOT allow them to achieve an equalateral triangle relative to the existing dimensions of their room. No matter what I did to illustrate it to them, they "didn't get it". Hence my offer. No matter though, I'll still do it. It may or may not help you, as I'm sure you already have in mind what you are trying to do. Hell, no matter how hard I tried to illustrate the principle to some people, they STILL put their mixing position IN A CORNER!:rolleyes: Oh well, to each his own.:D BTW, here is an illustration to illustrate the EQUALATERAL TRIANGLE FACTORS. Maybe it will help SOMEONE.:p

fitZ

You're right, Rick - I do have a very mobile setup. But I will definitely ask for your help when it's time for me to make the placement.

One question (of many) for now - Since I've got so many 4" panels on the walls with a 4" air gap, should I consider the boundary to be the wall, or the panel? Or is it a distinction without a difference?

Back