My Studio Construction Thread

Coming together nicely. So those are contractors in the pix?

So its going to be 16x25 huh, thats a nice size room. Are you going to leave the trusses open and then stuff em with treatments?

Looking very, very good!! Nice pics, brotherman.

I haven't been out there in a long time, but I'll get to see it in person tomorrow. Can't wait.

This is going to be soooooo awesome.

Wait for it. . .

almost ready. . .

there ought to be a "ding!" any minute now. . .

Coming together nicely. So those are contractors in the pix?

So its going to be 16x25 huh, thats a nice size room. Are you going to leave the trusses open and then stuff em with treatments?

Those are indeed the contractors.

We are going to just use panels in all the corners, except for superchunks or something like them in the four ceiling to floor corners.

I really want to do something like this!!! if you don't mind me asking how much is just the studio costing when said and done?

Nice!

Very nice building. Some day...Some day. I'll just have to settle for my 12' x 20' basement for now. On the bright side I live and work here for free and don't have to pay rent or mortgage. Well I don't work for free but you know what I mean. Anyway nice building!

I'm sure its going to be more than he tells you when all is said and done.:D:D

Yeah, well.. We're not talking about any of the shit that goes in it...;)

More pics on the way tomorrow. They've got most of the cladding in now.

I'm going to have to compromise on the AC, I fear. I don't think the missus is going to go for another slab. I may have to turn a wall unit off during takes. I'd probably have to do that anyway. It negates any reason to use 2 layers of sheetrock, though. We'll see, I'll talk to the contractor tomorrow.

Side note: one guy shot a nail right through his finger, right at the knuckle. It must have scraped the bone plenty hard. Dude just walks to the truck, grabs a pair of pliers, and pulls the sucker out. Wraps it up and back to work.

Hardcore.

Anyway, its time I said a word about the fellows building this workshop for me. They are Fine Line Builders in Sacramento, and they are meticulous and a blast to work with. We are right on budget and the work is being done right on time, with a minimal amount of disruption - thanks to the personal attention of Roger and James. If you're reading this, thank you.

Anybody in the Sac area looking for this type of project shouldn't hesitate to contact them.

Last edited:
I used a window ac unit this summer and had no problem with noise. I insulated mine really well and could run a small unit on low to keep it cool. So on low I had no bleed over when recording. I am planning on putting in a mini-split when the funds come available. Insulate the hell out of it.

I think he's more concerened about sound getting OUT more so than the noise inside. He can always just turn it off for tracking. That's what I do in my basement, just turn off the furnace to track. POC.

Wow that is hardcore, nail in the hand and then back to work. I'd of been on my way home for a 5 day weekend.:eek::D

They sound like stand up guys. I could probably use them for my basement studio. I have alot of the materials here and ready to go in. I wonder how they would bid me for the work... here in Cincinnati?:confused:

More pics

:Hopefully the roof goes on today so they can work through the rain over the next week.

Last edited:
Embarrassed to say, I don't know how to use sketchup.

The mix position is located about 30% back into the length of the room.

All corners are to be trapped, I'm currently looking at ready traps, since I just can't afford 12k for panels. About half that much is acceptable at this point.

In addition to the trapped corners, broadband absorbers will be in symmetrical positions at early reflection points, as well as on the side and rear walls. I'm going to go with 4" panels for everything except the floor to celing corners, where I will use 6" panels or perhaps superchunks. We will have four free-standing gobos of 4" 703 as well - in use wherever we need them at the time for either recording or mixing/mastering.

I think there will still be enough untreated surface area that the room shouldn't be too dead.

Back