My soon to be studio, with a video!

mikeeb

Whats the best RAP MIC??!
Hey guys. Before spending any money on my room, I went out and read books and books, and posts for days.
I understand nothing compared to Ethan and Glen, but I do know that I need their help.
I want to spend some money on GIK panels, real traps, and auralex, but I do not know what I need.
Thus, I made this awful quality video to show what my room looks like, and will look like in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqTEw8Xn40E

I am going to be sheetrocking 3 walls, essentially building a room inside of a room.
This will leave me with a tiny "control room" like 8x6 with a 6' ceiling, and a decent size tracking room like 13x10 with a few different ceiling heights.

My main concern is that I do not know where to start, will have a square control room that is so small its a like a cubical, and do not have a great budget.
I most likely will buy 12-16 OC 703 2'' panels and place them around the room on the walls.
Then, I want to buy a bunch of Auralex 1x1x2'' panels to make some nice looking designs (mostly for look, but I guess for some flutter echos.
I might then go out and get a few bass traps (IDK where yet) and place them in the corners

My main concern is overkilling the room, making it too dead with too much OC 703 and unneccesary Auralex, even though I have read you can never have enough broadband trapping.
I really am putting in the Auralex for just looks though, will it be too much?

In my tiny vocal booth, 8x4 with 6' ceiling ish, I will be throwing these very absorbant panels on the wall that I got for free.
They remove the sound, period. However, they suck for acoustic properties, so should I put one or two 703 panels in there along with them?
Anyways, here is my shitty room, with nightmare dimensions and an endless possibilities of failure.
However, if I do make it through this war called treatment, I will have to give all my credit to you fine people.

Thanks, and if you can even see anything in the video, take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqTEw8Xn40E

Right now 2 orders of Auralex 2'x4'x4'' wedges is looking pretty good (12 panels). If I combined this with some DIY OC 703 wrapped in fabric and maybe a few monster traps I might be golden. In the vocal booth these Acoustics corporation panels I mentioned earlier might work well. What do you guys think about that, my ceiling, and the placement. Also, I know on gearslutz, they put down foam. Uh oh.

first off - i'm not an expert, i just read alot of posts on this board, and i just wanted to say what i've read: skip the vocal booth - track your vocals in the live room and they'll sound better, plus it'll open up your control room.

don't ask me why, i'm just full of second hand information. i think it's because small vocals booths like that are really hard to treat right and make sound good, and in a larger room vocals can breathe a bit more. maybe somebody else will chime in.

also, just in my expierience, people are probably more likely to look at pictures in sketchup or photoshop or something rather than watch a 4 minute video.

first off - i'm not an expert, i just read alot of posts on this board, and i just wanted to say what i've read: skip the vocal booth - track your vocals in the live room and they'll sound better, plus it'll open up your control room.

don't ask me why, i'm just full of second hand information. i think it's because small vocals booths like that are really hard to treat right and make sound good, and in a larger room vocals can breathe a bit more. maybe somebody else will chime in.

also, just in my expierience, people are probably more likely to look at pictures in sketchup or photoshop or something rather than watch a 4 minute video.

The vocal booth idea I have never heard, so i would like to see if anyone else has any input on that. As for the video, I felt that it would be easier for people to watch because it is a pretty detailed room, and pictures would not be able to show that. Thanks for the response though man, i appreciate it a ton. Thanks again man!

Last edited:
Oh, additionally, I have read about these Auralex Mega max wall things. They have unbeliable absortion rate and are over 8 inches thick. From what I read, they have over 8 sabians in the lower frequencies, and are probably the greatest bass traps of all time! Of course this is not true, so what I am missing.

Back