My newly-built and treated recording space!

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
I've recorded in this room before, but have always been unhappy with the sound, especially the drum kit, so during this last week I've been doing something about it.
I ripped out the old carpet flooring, installed some laminate flooring and painted the place out, then ordered some acoustic foam tiles. While waiting for those to arrive I constructed three large rockwool broadband absorbers - there are two thicknesses of 100mm rockwool in each. When my tiles arrived I stuck them on then realised I needed more!

As of today, the last of the tiles came, I tuned the drum kit, oiled the squeaky bits, blu-tacked the rattly bits and damped the boingy bits.

I've done a test recording and I'm very, very happy with the results. Bring on the Radiohead project! :D

Studio 1.pngStudio 2.jpg

Looking good! You might want to hang some absorbers in front of the window though.

Looking good! You might want to hang some absorbers in front of the window though.

Hi, you can't see from the picture, but there are two large bed pillows hanging behind the curtain. :D I'm working on the premise that if I break up the high frequency sound waves a bit with the curtains and lightweight pillows, then the bass frequencies will pass through unaffected, giving me an ultra-efficient 5' x 4' bass trap! :D

The proof of the pudding is that I did my first drum recording in there tonight and I'm absolutely ecstatic with the results.:D I've never managed to record such clean, warm drum tracks up to now.

I'm glad to hear it! I plan to do some treatment my self pretty soon. I am fortunate enough to have a very large room with wood walls to track in but my mixing space is less than optimal.

No matter what the physics say, if the recording is pleasing, you were successful. Most of the acoustic treatment is geared toward the listening environment. This looks more like it is for recording. Only one suggestion, I like to place two 4x8 sheets of board on the floor and lock the drums down on that so I get good reflection and a more live sound; that's only a preference. Like I said if you're happy, stick with what you did.
Rod Norman
Engineer

No matter what the physics say, if the recording is pleasing, you were successful. Most of the acoustic treatment is geared toward the listening environment. This looks more like it is for recording. Only one suggestion, I like to place two 4x8 sheets of board on the floor and lock the drums down on that so I get good reflection and a more live sound; that's only a preference. Like I said if you're happy, stick with what you did.
Rod Norman
Engineer

He's got timber on the floor already

Back