My new studio recording desk

Xcaliber

I've been working on the desk in the pictures for about a week and a half, building it from plywood and 2x4s with a friend of mine. I thought I would show it off, I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. Now I only wish it was a little bigger. ;)

IMG_1504.JPGIMG_1501.JPG

Apart from the extra room that a bigger desk would provide for gear and whatnot...the important thing is that it would also allow you to position your speakers with a little more spread. As it is...you'll end up with mostly in-your-face mono sound.

It's a problem that many home-rec setups have...because most people have just a computer, LCD screen, and little else on their desk...and the rest of their "gear" is all ITB plugs and such.
Even so, there's a benefit from spreading things out, and also pulling back a bit, away from the monitors...so yeah, a bigger desk would help with that.

I know this may come a surprise to many...but the recommended spread for near-field speakers by some studio designers is 5'-6' for proper stereo imaging.

Apart from the extra room that a bigger desk would provide for gear and whatnot...the important thing is that it would also allow you to position your speakers with a little more spread. As it is...you'll end up with mostly in-your-face mono sound.

Actually if you built some matching speaker stands to place either side on the desk you will also get more room on the desk for other things, like a second computer monitor?

Alan

Yeah...stands work too for monitors...I just figure with a bigger desk, you also have some room for the coffee cup and lava lamp. :)

Back