My new space - what about acoustic treatment

jonny deep

Disappointing Member
Hello hello hello.

So I just moved house and my new studio is now also the spare bedroom. It is 3.9m x 3.5m x 2.44m high. There are some pics below (also showing off my new Vox Night Train 15W amp head, Egnater Tweaker 1x12 cab and Fender '52 Reissue Telecaster!). I've read lots and lots of stuff about acoustic treatment and want to know if I'm on the right track.

From what I understand, I'm going to need a panel above me (as I'm sitting at the mixing position), to my left and to my right at the first reflection points (using a spot of trigonometry to work out where best). Then, I need to attack the corners behind me (vertical corners between the back and side walls and also the horizontal corner between the ceiling and back wall). The large window is directly behind me. Is it best to have a portable panel I can place on the window sill when I'm mixing?

I'm not sure on what to use - I'm in the UK and think this is the right stuff here. Is this correct? Do I want 2", 4" or a mix of both. Should I be using a different material for bass traps and broadband absorption - I seem to see conflicting info on all this???

To be completely honest, I really can't imagine it making much difference to me at my stage in this newish hobby of mine, but you guys go on about the importance of this so much, that I'm willing to trust in it and go ahead and build some.

Thanks muchly.

IMAG0108.jpgIMAG0109.jpgIMAG0110.jpgIMAG0111.jpgIMAG0112.jpgIMAG0113.jpg

Ethan, just the man!

Thanks for the link. I've read this and several articles like it. I think I know where I need to place some panels (early reflection points to left, right and above mixing position; corners behind, both vertical and horizontal and probably a temp panel over the window behind the mix position).

What I'm struggling with really is how to tell if the material I link in my first post above (Rockwool - Flexi Insulation - Insulation - Rockwool Insulation) is suitable and what thickness to use in my panels.

Yes, that material is fine, but it needs to be at least 100 cm thick for bass traps. Half that is fine for reflection points.

--Ethan

Yes, that material is fine, but it needs to be at least 100 cm thick for bass traps. Half that is fine for reflection points.

--Ethan

Ok, thanks Ethan! I guess you mean 100mm (I don't think I could persuade my girlfriend that metre thick panels on the walls of the spare bedroom are a good idea :D).

So, I'm going to order some 100mm and some 50mm. 100mm for bass traps at the rear of the room, 50mm for first reflection points. For the thinner panels, is as large a gap between the wall/ceiling and panel required?

Thanks again!!!

Thanks for your responses, Ethan. Much appreciated.

Jab - yeah, that's a problem, lol. I have to turn my hands round backwards to play them.

Yeah, I drum (badly) right handed. My dad tried to teach me guitar right handed when I first picked up his guitar aged 7, but it just wasn't an option for me - it only felt right the wrong way round. Drums, however, feel right right handed. I'm basically a mixed up hodge pudge of dexterity, and am no good any way round!

Back