My goals and questions

You say that you will charge to record bands. A studio or office for your own use is one thing, but receiving clients is a business of a different sort, at least from your neighbors’ and town perspective. I suggest you (quietly) check local laws, history and sentiment before you invest much. Even if the sound doesn’t travel beyond your lot (and it had better not!), neighbors might object to strangers parking, loading/ unloading, “musicians” in general, anything. Localities and neighbors vary greatly in their laws, prejudices and tolerance. So might your experience. Then there’s the matter of insurance, including liability, in a business environment. Check with your provider.

+1 and I can give you an example of that prejudice.

The guitar amp Co I worked for looked at new premises 'in the sticks'. The workshop/lab would be some 60mtrs opposite another business. We setup a 100W amp and 4x12 and that put out about 100dB SPL at a mtr. Over the yard I went round with a director and a sound level meter when the SPL had dropped considerably. The other people said "we can still hear the noise." I pointed out the print/comms room a few mtrs away was making more noise than the rig. "But we can still hear YOU" . Seems they did not like rock and roll 'oiks'!

Dave.

"dam all musicians and bikers" is a common theme amongst the plebes. Do your do diligence. Okay that sounds weird but you get the idea

Back