My Dream Studio

ltwrestler

Hello everyone. I don't post here much (because I don't know much) but I've enjoyed reading and learning what I can from you guys.
I'm a lieutenant in the United States Air Force. My dream is to put in my 20 years and then retire and open up a home studio/label. I plan on saving up enough cash over the next 20 years to buy a house in the Austin, TX area with cash and put in a home studio.
I realize that everyone does what they do because they love it, but as a musician who has tried to 'make it' it seems like it is over before it starts due to the nature of the music industry right now. It seems (from what I've seen) that being a successful musician is more of a popularity contest than an actual love of the craft. I hated gigging, mostly because I don't really care if people like my music or not. I make music because it is fulfilling and worthwhile to me, and somewhat renewing. My idea is a home studio AND an independent label mixed into one. I know most people want to record EVERYTHING, and have to in order to pay the bills, but I really would only be interested in recording my niche genre (acoustic, alternative, folk... think Jack Johnson, Norah Jones, or Parachutes - Coldplay). That way I can have specialty gear for the sound and music I enjoy and get good at my one thing as I have not been to school for sound engineering or anything.
I made up a mock list of my dream studio... mostly because dreams never happen unless you plan for them. Luckily with a full military pension I'll be able to have steady income even if there are no clients initially, so I'm already looking forward to my 'real' career.
I wanted to post my list and ask a few questions. You'll notice many areas of my budget are vague in nature, and that is because I have no idea what specific equipment would be needed. ANY feedback is welcomed. I plan on continually updating and modifying this list over the next 20 years as technologies change (mixers, software, microphones) but for now this is what I came up with as a noob. The numbers are all ballpark estimates.

Acoustic Guitars: $6000
6 String Taylor: $1500
6 String Martin: $1500
6 String Nylon: $1500
12 String Taylor/Martin: $1500

Electric Guitars: $4000
Gibson Les Paul: $1800
Fender American Stratocaster: $1600
Gretsch Hollowbody: $800

Bass Guitars: $2000
Fender American Standard Jazz Bass: $1250
Acoustic Bass $750

Amps/Pedals: $7000
Tube Amp Stack: $3000
Bass Tube Amp Stack: $3000
Pedals/Effects: $1000

Keys: $7500
Yamaha Studio Upright: $4000
Hammond Tube Organ: $2000
Wurlitzer Electric Piano: $1500

Drums/Percussion: $7000
DW Jazz Series Kit: $5000
Hardware: $1400
Rock Box Cajon: $300
Tambourine: $50
Djembe: $250

Gear:
Microphones: $6500
Cardioid Compression Microphones (Acoustic Guitars, Vocals): $5000
Dynamic Mics (Drums, Amps): $1000
Mic Stands: $500
Cables: $500

Computer/Software: $14000
Desktop Computer/Two Monitors: $2000
ProTools: $600
Studio Monitors: $1000 (no clue what an ideal price would be)
Headphones: $400
"The Rack"/Mixer/Preamps: $10000 (no idea what goes into something like this)

Total: $54500

My main question is if there are any glaring equipment/price errors or omissions? Anything that is a must have for a middle end/niche studio? This total figure does not include any room treatment. I am currently just an avid musician who has dabbled in recording, but plan on slowly learning and figuring things out over time (possibly using my GI Bill to learn all this at a university)

Separate question... I have tried reading up on analog recording in the forums here and on google. Recording straight onto tape is currently completely beyond my abilities or understanding. I was wondering if theoretically you could get the same warm analog sound by doing all your recording and mixing digitally (like on ProTools) and then somehow put your final mix onto analog? I am really, really interested in having analog available (or great preamps) because of the genre that I am going for and the tracks that I have heard that were recorded on tape (i.e. Parachutes - Coldplay)

Another question: When I have recorded in studio with my band, they have always put the bass guitar on a direct in. Wouldn't you get a better, warmer sound by mic-ing up a bass tube amp?

I also want to have a large focus (conceptually) on live recording. In other words recording as many parts live together as possible. I hate click tracks and individually recording instruments... I think it completely destroys the feel and ebbs and flows of a song. Any suggestions for what I would need to successfully pull that off? i.e. how many rooms and what type/layout, any special equipment

Thank you for any and all feedback. Sorry for the random questions, I just have so many lol.

I hate to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but that list of gear and prices is about as wrong as I could imagine. If you're making a studio, versus a collection of musical instruments to play for fun, you need to put your money into the studio. This means appropriate construction for sound isolation (unless you're far from any roads) and serious acoustics. Your gear proposal also seems way off. The most important item in any studio, after acoustics and construction, is the loudspeakers. To allocate only $1,000 for speakers out of a total budget of $54,500 is very misguided. If you really will have that much money for this project, and you don't know what to get, you should hire a professional to advise you. And I don't mean a salesperson at the local music store.

At the minimum, you should separate out the instruments you'd like to own from the studio and audio gear.

--Ethan

Thanks, I guess you could tell that I'm a musician not a sound engineer lol.

So you're saying the top priorities are room acoustics and studio monitors?

I guess I just think backwards... meaning 1. the source of the sound needs to be good (instruments), then 2. the microphones to pick up that sound, then 3. the computer and software to edit the sound.

How much would you estimate it would cost to sound treat a normal large basement? 10000? 20000? How much should be allotted to speakers?

I just watched your videos on RealTraps.com... thanks for the information. I understand what you mean by putting the money into the studio instead of the instruments. For the video in the completely treated bedroom, approx. how much would that cost?

Without knowing the size of your basement space I can't even guess. But you can do minimal DIY treatment on a "normal" size space for under $1,000, or spend $10,000 or more for truly excellent results with commercial products from a company that knows what they're doing.

--Ethan

Back