My DIY Vocal booth

SAM CA

A little backstory to this project...

I work in the audio/music industry but I also have a lot of home music and post production projects. The level of sound coming into the house makes a recording session extremely unpredictable. A lot of birds, lawn mowers, housing projects and even crickets at night could totally ruin it for me. About 4 years ago I decided I needed a 6X6 vocal booth. I had an idea but we made many changes along the way. After many trips to Gearslutz and Homedepot ....this happened:

DIY Vocal Booth | Flickr

The sound/noise leaking into the booth from the outside is so faint that none of the mics are able to pick it up. In other words if I want to record some voiceover right now, I can just go ahead and do it. Of course smaller booths have disadvantages which I've tried to deal with the best I could. The list of advantages far outweight the disadvantages (for me). I still make changes to it from time to time. It sits on a platform with heavy duty caster wheels.

It cost me about $4k ...but that's because I didn't look for sales, cheaper alternatives...etc. I pretty much bought what i liked. Just the door and glass cost over $1k. I did hire a professional to cut and place the glass window in there. Everything else was done at the garage. To me this was totally worth it. It has already paid for itself many times over so it was a good investment after all.

Back