My desk plans

WhiteStrat

Don't stare at the eye.
You can see from the photo here that all my gear is basically piled in and around an old workbench type desk. The workbench is 4 feet by 8 feet and the new desk will be about that size as well (though deeper than 4 feet with the wing-like extensions on the left and right). It doesn't look that big because the height throws it off--it's at counter height so it's taller than a normal desk. Anyway, here's my plan.

Attachments

• desk_02.jpg
    desk_02.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 266
Looks good....after you're done, build me one, would ya? :D

Great panoramic pic BTW......I'm green with jealousy over your setup!!!

That's gonna be one hell of a patch bay party when you get it completed.:eek:

Start buying beer now.:D

The patch bay partie's already happened--everything in that design is already stacked/piled/racked/wedged into my current crap desk--and it's all in a patch bay. It's gonna suck moving it all... :eek:

You can see from the photo here that all my gear is basically piled in and around an old workbench type desk. The workbench is 4 feet by 8 feet and the new desk will be about that size as well (though deeper than 4 feet with the wing-like extensions on the left and right). It doesn't look that big because the height throws it off--it's at counter height so it's taller than a normal desk. Anyway, here's my plan.

Is it really a good idea to mount rack equipment vertically like that? Generally heat is dissipated either thru the top of back of the particular piece of equipment. Here you are standing them up vertically and adding a lid to it. Doesn't look like it would end well...

Looks like an accident waiting to happen if you're not careful with liquids/drinks on the desk also.

I know every desk in the recording world is designed this way, but the height of your monitors in that design is an ergonomic nightmare. The top edge of a monitor should be AT OR BELOW eye level to aleviate neck strain/pain when dealing with prolonged useage.

Looks like it will be a cool set up. I see brzilian's point with the heat and drinks. You might be able to buy a few quiet fans and mount them from behind. Heat problem (if any exists) should be solved.

Very thoughtful stuff. Thanks for comments. I tried to be brief in the original post, so I glossed over some things. But since you've noticed the issues...

Is it really a good idea to mount rack equipment vertically like that? Generally heat is dissipated either thru the top of back of the particular piece of equipment. Here you are standing them up vertically and adding a lid to it. Doesn't look like it would end well...

Everything in the side wings (mounted vertically) has been vetted for heat dissipation in a vertical mount. A couple of rack mount mixers (line mixer and xlr mixer); they're passive w/no required ventilation. The rest of the gear in the side wings is comprised of equally passive stuff--numerous TRS patch bays, XLR patch bays, ISO mic splitters, etc. It's all stuff I need at my disposal but don't need constant access to--thus it goes in the wings, which when closed, offer me more desk space.

Looks like an accident waiting to happen if you're not careful with liquids/drinks on the desk also.

No way around this one. My current desk is packed w/gear. At this moment, it's also got 2 coffee cups, a diet Mtn Dew bottle and a half dozen almost empty Coke Zero cans. (No problems in 3 years--knock on MDF) I need my gear within arms reach, but I also need my caffeine. So I live with that risk.

I know every desk in the recording world is designed this way, but the height of your monitors in that design is an ergonomic nightmare. The top edge of a monitor should be AT OR BELOW eye level to aleviate neck strain/pain when dealing with prolonged useage.

I agree about the level of monitors. And they'll be at the right place about the half the time. :D No, they won't move, I will. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse that moves in the room with me as I stand and/or walk around--which is a good chunk of the time. So lifted up actually works for that scenario. But I'm also considering (which means I probably will do it) using double joint mounting arms for the monitors. Thus when I'm sitting and being more computer intensive (and most likely wouldn't need access to those preamps under the monitors) I can pull them forward and down and have 'em float in a much better place.

Looks like it will be a cool set up. I see brzilian's point with the heat and drinks. You might be able to buy a few quiet fans and mount them from behind. Heat problem (if any exists) should be solved.

As far as the rack gear goes--it's all completely open underneath--even the vertical stuff that doesn't need ventilation. No one can see under the desk (unless they lay on the floor) so this creates nice ventilation and good access--for the both the vertical and 45 degree stuff.

That's a cool design. The only issue I can see is if two or three people want to listen in the sweet spot or help make mixing decisions, they will be hanging and leaning all over those wings. Otherwise, you got it goin on.

That's a cool design. The only issue I can see is if two or three people want to listen in the sweet spot or help make mixing decisions, they will be hanging and leaning all over those wings. Otherwise, you got it goin on.

That is the one issue I haven't come completely to terms with yet. That and I often pull a keyboard over to my side to track with--now the wings would be in the way. I just know that right now, my absolute biggest headache is trying to use the gear that's running down the face of my desk. If I can reach it, I can use it--so much better. So I guess I've become fairly obsessed with a design that puts all my rack gear in view and in reach.

I've gotta think about that sweet spot issue. Thanks...

Sweet!
I dig it. Maybe rethink the legs on the wings ??? Roll away. :cool:

p.s. what up neighbor .... OFallon here.

Tell me more about your thoughts on the legs/wings--I'm not sure I follow.

Where do you live in O'Fallon? And is it MO or IL? I lived in O'Fallon, MO for a bit--once upon a time.

OFallon IL ...

It appears as though your design has the legs for the wings being integral to the legs of the desk.
Could the wings not be separate cabinets on casters?

What is in the areas to the left and right of your computer keyboard? Could you condense that gear to those compartments? Or do you wish not to?

Wouldn't it be cool if those wings were like drawers that slid out when needed?

Here is mine. Also home made. Pretty similar but with padding across the front. It is reminiscent of the old Argosy desks. There is a free standing rack on wheels to either side of the desk. (Those spots are just dust on the camera.)

Attachments

• StudioDesk.jpg
    StudioDesk.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
As far as the rack gear goes--it's all completely open underneath--even the vertical stuff that doesn't need ventilation. No one can see under the desk (unless they lay on the floor) so this creates nice ventilation and good access--for the both the vertical and 45 degree stuff.

Good that you have it open on the bottom; that will allow even more hot air to flow through your equipment...:cool:

Basic physics: hot air rises, cold air falls. So simply having the bottom of the wings open will not only not improve heat dissipation, it will actually compromise it.

If it has a power cord and rack ears, it should be mounted in a vertical rack, or perhaps a rack canted a few degrees back at the top for ease of access, unless the equipment instructions allow for another mounting scheme...

Unless his source of heating is the floor .... I'm bettin' open bottom wings will be just fine.
Especially for the passive equipment he's putting in them.

I'd be willing to argue that any enclosure should, at the very least, be vented at the bottom (and top) if heat buildup is a concern.

How about setting those side units to a 45degree angle, then more people can fit in and you will still be able to each everything! I think argosy do a similar style workstation desk. Instead of having your rack units vertical like that, you could try and put them on top of the box's at an angle? Just an idea :)

Back