My Cheap Vocal Booth

I love the devotion here man! :)

I had done much the same in early versions of misunderstood needs for isolation and absorption.

What I found in the end is that most materials like you are using are also reflective. You may in essence be creating a smaller space than you have.

What mic are you using in there? What is the room size?

Is the cat's fur reflective or is it absorbing sad emotions? lol

I personally would recommend a dynamic mic, place some of those those absorption things like the mattresses in a 'v' orientation behind the mic as well as a couple other things behind the singer. Maybe the foam above. But that looks like closed cell foam so it likely doesn't do shit.

It is always best to stop poor reflections in a big room, than to create new ones in a smaller space. Well, from my experience anyway. Every room is different. Get rid of the 'boing' sound if the first order.

In my room I have a couple bass traps and some absorption panels on the walls (10 actually). But with a good dynamic mic, I realized singers could sit on the recliner on the side of the room, and still get a great vocal.

Not so easy with a condenser mic as they tend to pick up the room without caring about the proximity of the artist to the mic.

I thought it was a "sole survivor" meat smoker.... :D ;) ...and WTF is my cat doing on top of it? (got one just like yours) :)

Until I finally bought into the bass traps idea, I used the biggest room I had, pointed out at a slight angle across the longest dimension, with an old comforter hung on the wall/corner behind me, to stop the room's natural sound reflections from bouncing back to the front of the mic. It worked much better than going under a comforter 'tent' which left everything sounding dull AND boxy. I suspect any sound from this 'vocal booth' would have the same issues.

Yeah...I never liked the vocal booth/tent thing either....and to this day, I just set up the vocal mic at one end of the long side of the room, facing the other end...and at most, I'll put up one of the "shield" things behind the mic, but not too close.
IMO, it gives the vocal a natural open sound, instead of the dead/dry/dull sound, that you then have to add ambience to later on. I've got enough treatment, so the room has no flutter echo or hollow sound...it's just live enough.

@jimmy -

Yeah I just took what I had around the house, eggshell from bedding, etc. I have Aston Origin mic. The room is actually a small garage with lots of sh%t everywhere. I rent the place so I am not gonna do any major sound treatment. I am gonna try some takes inside and out, but I have done a few recordings and actually like the way they turned out. I only record acoustic guitar and voice mic'd up so I can be flexible with arrangement but I just don't have much space to work with.

@miroslav

I love to smoke meat as well, just do it on my Weber kettle though. As for the cat, he loves to lay I there when I am recording, pretty cool actually.

As for the cat, he loves to lay I there when I am recording, pretty cool actually.

Mine is a female tabby, very similar markings as yours...and she has her perch in my studio. I actually have two cats, a black male...and they both love to hang in the studio when I am recording....except for drums....though the male doesn't like it if I crank up my guitar amp real loud, otherwise they sleep through most everything.

The general wisdom around here is that you're better off in a big room that isn't great than a small room that isn't great.
What you've made, most likely, is a small room that isn't great.

If you can't do anything permanent that's cool..a lot of us are in the same boat..but I'd really recommend going with Jimmy and opening that thing out so it's more like a book behind the mic, or 'wings' for the singer.
I just keep four 4'x2'z4" panels in storage and pull them out when I'm tracking vocals or acoustic instruments. They help a huge amount!

That said, you don't know until you try. Maybe that thing will do what you want.

Back