My Apartment Sound Room / Booth Build

chadg

Hi all,

Preface -- I'm a long-time lurker on the forum, but new to posting. I'm not new to recording. I understand the foundations of sound control but I'm by no means a master of that or construction. Call me an extremely enthused hobbyist, I guess. I'm a musician that is tired of not being able to make noise or record in proper isolation.

About a month ago I completed a construction project I thought you guys might be interested in, especially if you live in an apartment or some other attached home situation. I built a sound booth in my apartment garage based on the following criteria:

• It had to provide proper isolation for recording
  • It had to be large enough to avoid the boxy "closet booth" sound and also fit my electronic drums (those things are surprisingly loud)
  • It had to significantly reduce the decibel level of whatever noise I'm making in it for my neighbors and family
  • It had to be modular so I could dismantle it and take it with me if I move
Originally I did hope to record the whole process as a for-pay full "how to" package including 3d models, walkthroughs, diagrams, etc...but to be honest I have no idea if there would be any interest at all and that will take some serious time to compile. For now, I'm just stupid excited with how this turned out, so I kind of just want to show it off and give a quick rundown in case it can inspire anyone else to take on a similar project. I don't have any usable pics of the exterior yet, but here is the interior:

soundroom_interior.jpg

VIDEO BELOW. I'LL ADD ADDITIONAL VIDEOS IN FOLLOW UP REPLIES. Here's a (not-so) quick rundown:

Interior dimensions are 5'W x 6'L x 7'H.

The entire frame is 2x3 instead of 2x4 to conserve space. Simple 16-on-center design and squaring up was done when drywall was attached to the frame.

The floor is made of a layer of osb, then the frame stuffed with R13 insulation, and then 2 more layers of OSB sandwiched together with Green Glue. It's unfortunately really heavy, but incredibly solid. The floor also has a rim that is used to connect the walls.

All of the wall and ceiling panels use the same basic process -- 1/2" drywall, frame stuffed with R13, then a layer of "soundboard" (available at The Home Depot) with a layer of 1/2" drywall sandwiched together by Green Glue. I'm familiar with the controversy surrounding soundboard, but remember, this is a modular system; it's the lightest material I could find and as a bonus, provides a different level of density than the drywall, which I believe will affect the resonant frequency of the drywall, especially when GreenGlue is introduced in between. Just a theory and I'm sure the senior sound pros will have something to add here, but the result was impressive, so maybe there is something to that after all...

The 2 ceiling panels have the same type of rim as the floor to connect the walls. The side walls and ceiling are all comprised of 2 panels each, connected by draw-style latches that allow me to connect them together so I can treat them as a single unit when assembling. There are several other reasons for this design feature that go beyond the scope of this write-up.

All panels connect together with neoprene foam rubber for sealing purposes. This stuff wasn't cheap and was hard to find in the right size/quantity, but all worked out and it did a great job.

The window is made with 2 pieces of glass - 1/4" and 3/8". I chose these based on a calculation method I found online comparing glass sound properties to its surrounding surfaces, and I chose different thicknesses for resonance reduction.

The door is a solid core Jeld Wen door, slightly modified, and then fitted with several layers of soundboard and drywall to increase its mass. There are minor sound leaks around the door where the materials don't perfectly meet the frame, but I can live with that for now.

The rear panel is massive...too big, in fact. It should have been cut into 2 panels, just like the floor. Live and learn, I guess. :\

Lighting is simple LED strips. Power was run as you would normally run power in a standard american home -- 12/2 residential wire with outlets in boxes. However, the power runs to an inlet, which I can then plug an extension cord into. So yeah, it's basically a very elaborate extension cord. As a safety precaution, the extension cord is plugged into a surge protector with circuit breaker. I also added a couple combo xlr & 1/4" ports internally and externally for obvious reasons.

The walls are bolted together with large lag screws. The walls also connect to the floor with many bolts...roughly 5" long with washers and nuts.

The window and other areas that need sealed were done with Green Glue Sealant.

The floor is dirt cheap carpet and the walls are sound foam from Next Acoustics (including floor-to-ceiling "bass traps"...not that they trap that much). I've seen some mixed opinions about them, but it's not the cheap ebay-level stuff for sure. Considering the type of noise I'm making, it serves me very well and works great in this small space.

To answer some questions that might come up...

• Why did I build parallel walls? Space restrictions and simplicity in modular design.
  • Why did I not build rigid fiberglass panels? Space limitations and longterm health concerns for fiberglass panels in such a small space, even if covered.
  • Why did I bother with that crappy "soundboard" when I know it doesn't do much for dampening lower frequencies? As I mentioned above, it's about balance. It was the best "sandwich" layer material I could find for weight savings. This thing is already insanely heavy. 2 layers of drywall sandwiched is just too much weight.
  • How much did I spend? I kept all of the receipts, but haven't totaled everything up yet. I believe it was somewhere around $2000 USD. Definitely not cheap, but SO worth the investment. This could have been considerably cheaper if I didn't waste some money experimenting.
  • Will I be posting up sound tests, db measurements, etc.? Yes.
  • Why did I not finish the outside yet? I'll be hiring someone to finish it...finishing is not my strong suit.
  • How do you breathe in that thing? I open the door. Proper intake/exhaust baffles with fans will happen eventually.

Last edited:
Where's the rest of your audio/music space...?...is it also there in the garage?

Just wondering why you didn't simply convert the entire garage space into a treated studio, since it looks like a good size...and then you wouldn't have to bother with the smaller booth...and it wouldn't be so dead sounding with a bigger, treated space.

I can see using the iso booth for some things, like raging guitars...but I kinda prefer a more open space area for most recording...but I don't have the neighbor problem. :)

You will definitely need those air vents in there if you plan being in it. It gets stuffy/hot very quickly.
I have a friend and a college radio station, and thy had two of the larger Whisper booths installed...about 8'x 12' each...and even with the air circulation in the booths...it's not easy to stay in there too long.
Most times, the DJs just keep the booth doors open unless they are doing a long work with the mics.

Oh...also keep in mind that the foam is only going to suck up the highs..so whatever mid/low frequencies you have going on in there, they will still resonate in that closed space...but I don't know what exactly your planning to use it for.
Like it would be fine for voice overs and stuff like that...but might not sound as good for loud instruments with a good amount of lows.

Otherwise...nice work...looks like it was an involved project. :thumbs up:

Thanks miroslav. It's not perfect, but it's all about making your situation work. This is an apartment, so I can't do anything permanent and I needed something that blocks sound and will fit here and anywhere else I end up. I did plan to section off and treat the garage for a "control room" area, but the wife and I decided that we need to move soon so I'm just operating within the booth for now, not doing any heavy recording at the moment. I'll pick up where I left off when we get to our new place, which is a similar setup. Vents and a more proper external area will happen at that point.

Nothing is permanent. If/when the foam turns out to be inadequate, I'll modify. All good.

Here is a super condensed full timelapse of the build. Excuse the rambling...adhoc commentary is harder than it looks! Haha.

Back