Muffling Amps - Reducing Mic Bleed

adam79

I'm gonna be recording my friend's punk band; they wanna record live. All I have is one decent size rectangular room. I'm gonna put the amps in opposite corners, facing the walls. What type of material is good to put over the amps (to stop the sound from traveling as much)? I'm assuming a blanket will work ok and it'll be free. However, if I/they can get some cash, what would be the proper material? Thanks.

Face them into the walls and use blankets. That's about as much as you can do.

As long as everything is close miced, you should be ok with the bleed. Just make sure you set the band up in the same configuration that you will pan the instruments. That way the stereo field stays coherent and the bleed makes sense in the mix.

Really, as long as the amps aren't pointing directly at the drums and they aren't so loud that they overpower the drums, you should be ok. Vocals are going to be the problem, if anything.

Really, as long as the amps aren't pointing directly at the drums and they aren't so loud that they overpower the drums, you should be ok. Vocals are going to be the problem, if anything.

Ya, he'll hate the idea of it, but it's lookin like he's overdubbing those vox. Although Jaggar hated headphones n insisted to record live outta a PA. It gave the vox a sort of ghost like quality according to Richards. Their setup was most definitely prime tho

I recorded at a studio that had a vocal room that was shaped such that, if you put the mic in a specific place in the room, the sound from the playback speaker would be cancelled. The singer could get blasted with the backing tracks with no bleed.

It was pretty cool.

If you put the singer in a corner, facing into the room, and put blankets and stuff on the walls behind him, it might help.

It all really depends on how big the room is and how loud the band is.

I was able to get very usable live recordings in a room that was about 25 by 14 with the band set up against the long wall, as if they were playing a show. The vocalist was on one side facing the band and the short wall across the room.

It worked fine. The biggest problem is you can't really do any punch-ins because of the bleed. So everyone has to have a good take at the same time.

Back