Movable Walls

markcoburn

I'd like to setup a studio that will also be used as a Hone Entertainment room. I'm starting small and I'm interested in finding wall pieces that I used to see in schools and churches that they would use to divide a large room into smaller classrooms. I figure that for studio duty, I could use them for makeshift vocal booths and for theater duty they can go up against the walls.
Does this sound reasonable?
Has anyone done this?
Have they been found used?
What prices have been found?

Thanks,
Mark

Sounds like a good idea...

One thing you might consider is making a simple partition, out of two sheets of 4'x8' plywood, glued together with foam on both sides.

Stand it up when you need it, lean it on the wall when you don't. Or even hinge it to the wall, and make a basic vocal "area" rather than a booth. To prevent feedback from your monitors to the microhone, you record the vocalist "dry" while listening and checking levels in headphones. Then upon mixing, where the microphone is off, you can use your monitors.

My original vocal booth design "folded" flat against the wall (about 1' thick), before I switched to a "flip floor" design and covered a seldom used stairwell instead. (A sofa is going into the original pack-flat vocal booth area, which I like better)

markcoburn said:
I'd like to setup a studio that will also be used as a Hone Entertainment room. I'm starting small and I'm interested in finding wall pieces that I used to see in schools and churches that they would use to divide a large room into smaller classrooms. I figure that for studio duty, I could use them for makeshift vocal booths and for theater duty they can go up against the walls.
Does this sound reasonable?
Has anyone done this?
Have they been found used?
What prices have been found?

Thanks,
Mark

Frederic,

Could you be more specific about the divider construction?

I could see two panels hinged to perpendicular walls in a corner. When they are folded against the walls, you end up with a sound dampened corner. Then you can hinge them away from the corner and make a booth with them as the walls will be opposite of the panels. Would be a lot easier to draw.

Okay, I attached a drawing, but I only had MS PowerPoint to draw it with and no time. So, it might look better if you cross your eyes a little.

Attachments

• cornner - booth.jpg
    cornner - booth.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 114
Could you be more specific about the divider construction?

Sure.

If you're just making a self-standing panel, it could be constructed several ways.

1. Make a wooden frame out of 1x3's, staple heavy cloth to the frame covering the entire one side. Add insulation, rock wool, heavy blankets inside, then staple more heavy cloth over the other side, thus containing it all together. This would be an open-frame style divider.

2. Glue two pieces of plywood together, then cover one or both sides with auralex-like acoustical foam.

For both, you need feet, which could be as simple as a section of 2x4, held on with a few deck screws or carriage bolts.

I could see two panels hinged to perpendicular walls in a corner. When they are folded against the walls, you end up with a sound dampened corner. Then you can hinge them away from the corner and make a booth with them as the walls will be opposite of the panels. Would be a lot easier to draw.

I understand what you are visualizing based on your drawing, no problem. To better illustrate what I originally was going to do with my booth, I cut and pasted the drawing twice into the same GIF, one with the booth open, one with the booth closed. The booth was going to be wedged into the corner of the room because I had this 2' deep x 8' wide indentation in the control room, so there was little I could do with that space (a prior design had four 7' racks there, but wiring was going to be a pain - the floor joists go the wrong way).

Anyway, take a look at the attached picture, and let me know if that helps you visualize what I'm describing. By no means do you have to make a full-blown booth like this drawing, I believe you could easily get away with a single hinged panel or maybe an "L" shaped panel that folds flat against the wall - much like bifold doors, only wider and floor to ceiling.

The free standing panel idea is easier to contruct I think, and you probably could make one inexpensively depending on what you have lying around. Really its nothing more than an office cubical partition made of different materials.

Attachments

• flipbooth.gif
    flipbooth.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 107
You can use Movable Partition Wall – Acoustic Partition Wall to partition rooms. It is a flexible space dividing partition wall. Which is made of aluminum frame with excellent durability and rigidity. These sliding folding partition products shape space by providing flexible sight and sound dividing, enable to control your space.

I suspect this person is here just to advertise this product .... And I question anything like what it looks like advertising as 'sound proof'.

I suspect this person is here just to advertise this product .... And I question anything like what it looks like advertising as 'sound proof'.

Considering that one of the first questions he asked was how to add a URL...and then that ^^^ is the URL he add here...
...yeah, just another spammer. I doubt there will be much more.

When someone joins JUST to put up a link to something....makes you wonder. :)

You can use Movable Partition Wall – Acoustic Partition Wall to partition rooms. It is a flexible space dividing partition wall. Which is made of aluminum frame with excellent durability and rigidity. These sliding folding partition products shape space by providing flexible sight and sound dividing, enable to control your space.

yeah...I bet they are just giving those doors away...at the tune of @ $500+ a door...probably not in his budget :laughings:

I've thought about this subject for the room I call my jam room....It's 20' x 20' and I've thought about surrendering about 5' x 20' to the wife for storage.. I envisioned just skinning some 4 x 8' x 1.5" thick foam panels with 1/8" luan and then setting them in place with l brackets on the ceiling and floor...Not super pro but would serve the purpose....

Thank you, I have been sitting around for 16 years trying to sort this out, so I can finally build the studio.

Now to get this new fangled recording computer to work:
121121034453-witch-computer-restoration-uk-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Back