Monitor Speakers: Desk Vs Stand

pb69

Which would be best and how far apart should they be? I'm think buying a pair of Yamaha MSP5's. Oh and it's for a room in my apartment.

Ideally they should form an equilateral triangle with your listening position, at least five feet apart and well away from any walls (among other parameters). That can be hard to accomplish in a normal residential space, but stands will likely be the better option. Simply not putting vibration through to your mouse hand resting on the desk is reason enough to use stands.

Ideally they should form an equilateral triangle with your listening position, at least five feet apart and well away from any walls (among other parameters). That can be hard to accomplish in a normal residential space, but stands will likely be the better option. Simply not putting vibration through to your mouse hand resting on the desk is reason enough to use stands.
Thank you.
I think 5 feet apart will work. If not would 4 feet be ok? Either way I will need stands. Would some stands like these work well? DR Pro DRPRO SMS1BK Wood Studio Monitor Stand (Pair) Black | Musician's Friend

Three feet high seems about right, though adjustable would be nice. Whatever puts the tweeters at the right height.

If the triangle gets too small it affects the imaging and the sweet spot gets smaller.

Speaker placement is an effect by itself, so you just need something that's optimal with a wide variety of reference material. Possibly most difficult is determining how freestanding a nearfield was engineered to be. With stands, it's easy enough to test them in different rooms and boundary locations and outside before determining what is the best compromise in your work room

My advice is: buy the stands and forget the trouble. For smaller bookshelf or satellite speakers, try SANUS or VideoSecu. The latter are really cheap and cheerful, universally compatible, with adjustable height. For larger monitors, I’d go with the Ultimate Support MS-90.

Back