Monitor (Speaker) to Monitor (CRT) Interference and Placement woes

joenoreason

Since this is my first post, I would like to start by saying Hello to everyone. I have been reading threads for about 3 days now and have learned a good amount from the posts and external links i have found here.

I am having a bit of a problem... I have a 10'6" x 9'4" room that i'm trying to set up and after doing some research, I've decided on using the equilateral triangle and 38% methods. The problem is, the placement that i came up with for the room requires the speakers to be too close to the CRT's. I run dual 19" CRT's which span about 36" from side to side. So when i put the speakers (unsheilded alesis monitor ones) near the CRTs.... Well we all know what happens when magnets get close to the CRT as i'm sure most of us had a blast doing it to moms TV when we were younger... Anyhow, I can put the speakers almost against the wall to help shape the triangle, but as far as I know it doesnt seem like the best idea having the rear ported speakers (or any speaker for that matter?) 5 or so inches from the wall. I know of a few solutions myself and may be answering my own questions but... One would be to purchase 2 LCD monitors since they arent effected by magnetic fields. As nice as that would be, I just dont have the cash right now to drop on 2 decend LCD screens. Another option, from what I read earlier on this forum would be to wrap the speakers in sheet metal. I guess this is more feasible than purchasing LCD's, but having sheet metal wrapped around my nice looking studio monitors doesnt sound fun, and just doesnt sound very 'acoustically safe' i.e., I would assume it would rattle and/or create some sort of noise. I could purchase new monitors (speakers) that were shielded but again, that would cost money I dont have right now.

I suppose I could stick with my current setup which isnt really good as far as the math goes and the imaging just doesnt seem right to me unless i back up a good amount... Or maybe I can gather some sheet metal and see what creation I can come up with.

Anyone have any other (obvious) suggestions I might be missing?
Am I overlooking something? :(
Thanks alot

maybe some stands and spread the monitors out a wee-bit?

i don't think i'd go for the foil...unless it was inside the speaker cabs.

This is all you need to do; you can then place your unshielded speakers within an inch or two of the CRT's with no problems whatever - I've even placed a large "pickup" magnet right ON the steel plate and can still place the plate within 2" or less of a 21" crt.

HTH... Steve

Attachments

• VidShld1.JPG
    VidShld1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 60
You're welcome; you might even get by with thinner steel, not sure; I had some 1/8" plate left over from another project so that's what I experimented with. I actually was able to put the steel right up against the case of the 21" CRT and the speakers against the steel with no signs of discoloration or pix distortion.

Near as I can tell, it's not that the steel "shields" the magnetic fields, it's more like it "re-aligns" the field to keep it from causing interference with the CRT's deflection coils or phosphors... Steve

Back