Moneyless Production Desk for Home Studio

Dicus

Enthusiastic Member
So I encouraged by tremblayj's lovely picture of his production desk. I started designing a desk that I could make with my (slightly more limited) woodcrafting skills. I had been pondering for some time about how to get the materials cause I'd rather spend that money on monitors or new mics then on nice looking wood.
In my barn I had been collecting the wood I found discarded in those large dumpsters on building sites and had during the past three years found a considerable amount of wood. So much that I could built my whole desk out of descarded and/or re-used wood. I used screws I had lying around, so didn't buy any for this project, however the screws had cost me money so strictly speaking this desk wasn't moneyless and has cost me about 3 bucks...

Because I own this large (and nice) doepfer masterkeyboard, 88 keys plus controller on the left, I needed a big desk. I also wanted it to be sturdy and wanted to be able to slide my keyboard underneath it. Since the store for building materials is 15k cycling from my home and I don't own a car I decided to let the keyboard slide on wood so I would not have to spend time cycling to buy drawer slides. The end result is the following. I admit it does look pretty DIY but I love the enlarged working space and have the keyboard handy without having to bend over it to type on my computer, on my previous desks I always got back ache from bending over my keyboard.

If there are any questions about how I went about, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• P1210254small.jpg
    P1210254small.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 63
  • P1210262small.jpg
    P1210262small.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P1210273small.jpg
    P1210273small.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 59
  • P1220276small.jpg
    P1220276small.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Nice job using recycled stuff, now get some real monitors (those Peavey's are huge and not ideal for mixing)!

Thanks! I will, see my other topic in this subforum. That's my next priority after acoustic insulation and the desk...

Back