Modular Soundbooth - Wall Connection Sealing

heratik

Hi all,

I'm currently building a 6'x5'x7' (LWH) modular sound booth. The walls, floor, and ceiling are built to connect together via large lag screws and surfaces. I'm not looking for utterly sound proof...just a controlled environment and reduction in sound.

My question -- Where the walls meet, is there any non-permanent compressible material anyone can suggest that I can sandwich in between to seal noise leaks? Seems like it would have to be somewhat expandable to fill tiny gaps around the corners, but it can't be permanently fixed like any kind of acoustic caulk. Mass loaded vinyl? Some type of thin studio foam maybe? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Chad

What are you doing to treat the sound inside the 'booth'? What are you planning on recording in it? What mic? Small booths tend to sound very boxy.

I purposely avoided giving too much information because I didn't want to derail the subject. But since you asked -- Auralex Corner bass traps on all corners top/center/bottom (3 total each corner), roughly 70% coverage mix of auralex and OC703 panels, additional movable/removable "wall panels" for redirecting sound as needed to account for the room having perfectly parallel walls, padded and carpeted floor. This is for a home studio in an apartment that needs to be able to be dismantled and moved on rare occasion. I'm mostly recording vocals and low-mid wattage guitar amps. Nothing that has so much energy that it will blast through the walls.

I'm not concerned about treatment so much because I've laid that out. I'm asking about sealing the wall connections in a non-permanent way.

Back