Mixing position isn't centered

Aidan0222

My mixing position can't be centered because of the way my room is set up, my desk is right up against the left wall, with the right wall about 15 feet away from my desk. What is the best way to overcome this problem without moving my mixing position?

Should I tune my right monitor different than my left? (I'm using Presonus Eris E5s so I can tune mids and highs and apply a 2db or 4db bass reduction) Or maybe put acoustic panels on my left wall?

Also, I'm newer to mixing, so the off centered position won't mess up my mixes, as I'm still learning

Thanks!

You are not going to like the answers as there is no tuning solution to fixing this.

I was however thinking that if you build an acoustic panel of some kind and have it on the right hand side you may fix the stereo imaging to some degree. This could be a movable panel so that you can get it out of the way of need be. It however would need to have some solidness to it. You could then have acoustic treatment on the left wall so that you get even imaging.

Not ideal but better then you have now.

Alan.

You could then have acoustic treatment on the left wall so that you get even imaging.

Yes...this is the way to go.
You want to "remove" the close wall from the equation with acoustic treatment. Make that wall dead...and the effect would be like it's not there.

The way I set up my studio, Instead of doing the long room with mix position centered, I went horizontal, so that I could have two sections to the entire space, without a having any wall between them.
That put my mix position centered for the section it is in, but off-center if I consider the whole space.
Now, I'm not up against a wall on the side...probably about 7' from it...but the other wall is like 17' from my mix position. So I covered the closer wall entirely with treatment...edge-to-edge for the most part.
My stereo imaging is dead-on-center. It doesn't pull to one side because I'm sitting off-center from the entire space.

I also did some measurements both long and short facing, and while common sense would suggest that the long way would be significantly better, there was little difference in how I have it set up...of course, the measurements were after I put in the acoustic treatment.

That said...being right up against a side wall is going to be more difficult. Your absorption needs to be deep and full-spectrum...and you also have the ceiling to consider, where it meets that side wall.
Not sure if you would want to create movable acoustic wall on the distant side...it might be better to let it stay open...but with odd setups, you just have to experiment to see what's working and what's not.

From your description, your left side monitor is probably in the corner - that's not good either, you really need to put a lot of absorption there, too.

Back