Mixing Insulation to makle Corner Bass Traps

MeltdownStudio

Hi all,

I have finally got some time to finish of my studio refurb, all is left to do now is the acoustics, so i ordered all of this insulation to treat the room

MFPhn1R.png

3 x 100mm Rockwool 4 sheets ( RW3 60kg/m3 )
1 x Moy Isover G3 High Performance Mineral Wool (10kg/m3)

So i built a 6" 4x2 Bass Trap using 100mm RW3 and a 50mm gap, and i also cut out as much as i could from the frame so the RW is exposed around the sides of the frame aswell

a7ls2hc.png

JFMo1DU.png

I plan on making another 3 of these

Then i made a start at my Corner Bass Trap

BvPqsJI.png

As you can see i used the Moy G3 in the middle and the RW3 on top and bottem, it is 32" wide i ended up using 3 sheets of RW3 cut into 4 superchunks a sheet

Would i get away with a 24" front ? as that would save loads of RW3 meaning i would get 8 superchunks from 1 sheet, or with having Yamaha HS8's with rear ports the 32" would be better ?

I plan on doing this for the other corner aswell

Here are some pictures of my studio refrub so far

cOcFLkU.png

F4grZtg.png

GxaBO1k.png

IngzaKp.png

As you can see (well bearly ha! sorry for dark pic's) my corners on the rear wall are very different to the front, so i can only make superchunks that would have a 12" front on them

Would they be still effective at 12" for them corners, that sofa is also a bed and it is made from 5" foam, i plan on hanging the 6" 4x2 Bass Trap on its side up over the sofa.

Also should i be worried about that odd corner where i have my records , i was thinking that might be working as some sort of a difuser ?

I could easly cover it with a curtain or make a sliding door ?

Thanks for any feedback

Jay

Meltdown Studio

Last edited:
24" wide superchunks are fine, I wouldn't go smaller unless there's no alternative space-wise. Your room is narrow and the back is unsymmetrical, so you'll want to trap as much sound from the back as you can. You actually have another rear corner - the wall-to-shelf on the left in the last picture - trap it the same as the right corner (super chunk or free-standing trap).
As to mixing insulation. you'd do better to alternate types rather than the way you've got it, that way the absorption will be more even from top to bottom.

24" wide superchunks are fine, I wouldn't go smaller unless there's no alternative space-wise. Your room is narrow and the back is unsymmetrical, so you'll want to trap as much sound from the back as you can. You actually have another rear corner - the wall-to-shelf on the left in the last picture - trap it the same as the right corner (super chunk or free-standing trap).
As to mixing insulation. you'd do better to alternate types rather than the way you've got it, that way the absorption will be more even from top to bottom.

Thanks for your reply, and all of your help in my older post.

I can leave them 32" wide on the front wall, when you say "alternate types " do you mean layer it like one superchunk of rockwool and then one Moy G3 and stack them up that way ?

Have i done this right i am getting a bit worried now, like am i using the right stuff ?

Is it better to build the whole corner with RW3 32" wide ?

Or is it better to use the Moy G3 to fill the whole corner ?

Or fill the corner with Moy G3 floor to ceiling then use the RW3 in front of it ?

Or the way i have it ?

Or if i have picked you up right, layer the RW3 the G3 and so one ?

Yes i plan on filling that odd corner aswell

Thanks

Jay

superchunk of rockwool and then one Moy G3 and stack them up that way

Yes!
I'm not familiar with either of those names of rockwool, so not sure how they compare to OC703, 705 or Roxul (that's what we've got here in the US).

I'm not familiar with either of those names of rockwool, so not sure how they compare to OC703, 705 or Roxul (that's what we've got here in the US).

RW3 is very like OC703 as far as i have gathered, the RW3 is 60 Kg/m3 and the Moy G3 is 10 Kg/m3, and as far as i know Roxul and Rockwool (which is the name of the company that makes "Rockwool Insulation of all types" in the UK&Ireland) are both the same companys but different brand names.

I might just do that, so one superchunk of rockwool and then one Moy G3 and stack them up that way

Thanks

Jay

Yes!

Alright, back again just got the rest of the fabric today so im going to finish off wrapping the traps.

I have half a roll of Moy G3 left, i could use this in the corners and take out the RW3, but do you recon my traps would work better with both the RW3 and the G3 ?

Alright, back again just got the rest of the fabric today so im going to finish off wrapping the traps.

I have half a roll of Moy G3 left, i could use this in the corners and take out the RW3, but do you recon my traps would work better with both the RW3 and the G3 ?

The G3 is less dense, so no, better to have the denser material.

Back