Mixing desk placement

McKeon908

Hey everyone,
I just removed everything from my home studio room and plan on rearranging it. I want to make a little more space in the room for when I move in my drum set and half stack so I'm hoping to put my desk and monitors in a more convenient location. Previously my desk was put up against the non-door 9 ft wall shown in my poorly made diagram. I had put acoustic paneling behind the monitors and all along the parallel back wall. I want the spot with the best sound for mixing so if that happens to be the same spot, I'm good with that too. I had two thoughts regarding a desk spot that creates more space in the room. One is along the 4ft wall by the door in the corner but that seems it would be a bad spot for mixing as it is in a corner. My other thought is the back of the 5 wall circular cut out in the corner. I have plenty of acoustic paneling and bass traps for corners. Just wondering all of your thoughts and if any of these ideas would work well. I hope I've provided enough information, and thanks in advance for your replies!

-Oh and if there's a particular place for a guitar cab, drum set, or place to put/not put acoustic treatment that information would be very helpful as well! It's kind of an odd shaped room so I had a hard time figuring this out on my own.

room layout.png

The best place is going to be about 3' in from that 9' foot where the door is (on the left), but that's going to crowd the rest of the room, so up against that place where the door is, centered.
What do you mean by 'acoustic paneling'? Do you mean bass traps, or foam?
That odd-shaped area, top right, would seem to be ideal for the back of the drums, but due it's shape its going to be bouncing sound right back to your mics, so would need trapping on all walls.

The best place is going to be about 3' in from that 9' foot where the door is (on the left), but that's going to crowd the rest of the room, so up against that place where the door is, centered.
What do you mean by 'acoustic paneling'? Do you mean bass traps, or foam?
That odd-shaped area, top right, would seem to be ideal for the back of the drums, but due it's shape its going to be bouncing sound right back to your mics, so would need trapping on all walls.

I believe I mean the foam. It's the single layer panels of acoustic insulation. I also used thick bass traps for the back two corners. And I had 3 panels hanging by the circular corner.

Forget the foam. Once you have all the bass trapping you need to tame all the frequencies, then maybe a little foam won't hurt.

Back