Mini Sound booth advice needed

Zorillias

Hey guys,

so I'm an avid writer and really enjoy writing music and recording, I felt an urge to get a mic and get to do actual recording not only recording my instruments straight through a sound card but also using an actual mic.

Now problem is the acoustics and noise, the mic picks up noise I can't just edit out, so I found this video that shows this guy making a small version of an acoustic sound booth, I want to do the same thing and have the foam and a fitting light box as well, problem is I'm trying to figure a way to be able to put the box on top of a mic stand and not have it sitting on my desk.

I can't think of the specific build for this but it has to be something not too narrow, holding the stand right below the sound box holding it in its place. also needs to be removeable.

Suggestions?

Something like this would be designed with the intention of keeping room reflections from entering the mic. Although my expectations would be rather low for how well it does that...

What kind of noise are you experiencing? Environmental noise like traffic, lawnmowers, kids playing, etc? Or just room reflections?

That might work for things like AC air vent noise or if you were running a tape deck and wanted to miniize the capstan/motor noise...and maybe (?) mild guitar amp hiss...
...but if you're talking about a noise environment, cars, planes, trains or grass mowers and loud apartment neighbors..etc...it's not going to take it all out.

Also...it WILL make it sound like you recorded in a dry box, small box, because your vocals will have little place to go, and while the high frequencies might get absorbed by the foam the mids/lows will not, so they will be "trapped" in the box and you get a compressed sound (not the same as when using a compressor). IOW, the air pressure gets semi-trapped/squashed, IMO...if that makes any sense.

Of course, the newbs just hear the rolled of highs and the "dead-ness", and they think that's the right kind of sound for vocals, so they believe those small boxes are good.

I would rather use one of those acoustic shields to reduce any mild background noise or reverberation...the mic is then still open, and you don't get the dry/boxy sound.

Something like this would be designed with the intention of keeping room reflections from entering the mic. Although my expectations would be rather low for how well it does that...

What kind of noise are you experiencing? Environmental noise like traffic, lawnmowers, kids playing, etc? Or just room reflections?

I'm not sure though I don't think its room reflections, it's mostly noise coming from my PC. the guy in the video had demostrated recording outside the box and inside the box and it sounds amazing to me, I already have the materials so its not like I have to put much effort into it. just the part that's holding the box on the stand.

That might work for things like AC air vent noise or if you were running a tape deck and wanted to miniize the capstan/motor noise...and maybe (?) mild guitar amp hiss...
...but if you're talking about a noise environment, cars, planes, trains or grass mowers and loud apartment neighbors..etc...it's not going to take it all out.

Also...it WILL make it sound like you recorded in a dry box, small box, because your vocals will have little place to go, and while the high frequencies might get absorbed by the foam the mids/lows will not, so they will be "trapped" in the box and you get a compressed sound (not the same as when using a compressor). IOW, the air pressure gets semi-trapped/squashed, IMO...if that makes any sense.

Of course, the newbs just hear the rolled of highs and the "dead-ness", and they think that's the right kind of sound for vocals, so they believe those small boxes are good.

I would rather use one of those acoustic shields to reduce any mild background noise or reverberation...the mic is then still open, and you don't get the dry/boxy sound.

Yeah I get that, its small noises a condenser picks up thats all, once I close the windows and shut the door its really silent and I believe the cause of noise is my PC.

Still for what ever effects it would have on the sound quality I think its worth trying, if I get an unwanted effect I still have plenty material and be able to use the box for other types of recording.

The only thing I currently have trouble with, even if I go with the acoustic shield option is the part where I can't lock the shield/box onto the stand. that's what I need assistance with.

I have 2 of these:

sE Electronics Reflexion Filter X Portable Vocal Booth | Sweetwater.com

I also use one for the mic on a guitar amp, they work pretty good.:D

Looks really good though it would cost me tons to ship and everything, might consider doing an DIY one. thanks.

How would you suggest I do that? I thought about isolating it but overheating really scares me

I usually start by replacing all the fans with quiet ones, like the Noctua brand. Just using good fans can reduced the noise heaps.

Alan.

Back