midimonkey wiring

frederic

Aside from finishing, and installing the patch bay doghouse , I started trying to boot all my gear after wiping off what seemed like several inches of dust :(

So after wiping things clean, I mounted the akai HD recorders into their under-console table rack, and booted them. NONE of them could see the hard drives mounted in the external hot swap enclosure I put together. After some playing with the menus, being that they all have the same problem, I concluded it had to be the homemade drive unit. So I crawled around back - sure enough, there's the problem. No SCSI cables. I dig through box after box after box, and no SCSI cables that would fit. (insert loud swearing). So, now I've started a list of things I have to buy. I could have sworn I bought these cables already, but maybe not. Okay, no problem, I'll work on something else.

Mounted my 32-port wordclock buffer into the doghouse after mounting a new power jack on the front panel, and started wiring it to all the digital gear with a wordclock input. Spent a few hours doing that, trying to keep the cabling neat so I can crawl back there without knocking everything out, and powered up the wordclock generator, plugged in the 32-port buffer, and I hear a pop sound and the power LED on my homemade unit never lit. Of course all my digital gear is now blinking, or screaming "external wordclock not found".

So I disconnect all the wiring off the buffer, and plug one of them directly into the wordclock generator (aardvark Gen x6), and the device I plugged in stopped whining. Good, I didn't blow up the Aardvark at least. So I unload my 32-port wordclock buffer out of the rack, and take the cover off. Every TTL chip on the motherboard was nothing more than 14 pins with melted, blown up black crud between them. Okay, this is very annoying. I double checked my wiring of the new power jack and it was correct. Okay. Wonder why it blew up. I put a voltmeter across the output of the wall wart, 113V DC. No, that can't be. I check again. 113V DC. I pulled it out of the outlet to read the face, and it's supposed to be 12V DC @ 1A. It's a switching power supply type wall wart, not the usual "I'll get hot and cook myself" transformer based wall wart. I plug it in and measure it again, 113V DC. WTF? Apparently the switching power supply circuit inside short circuited, and took my 32-port wordclock buffer with it. Nice. It did work at one point. Oh well. (insert more loud swearing and some banging of my head on the floor).

So I yank all that stuff out, remove all the wiring, and put it all in a cardboard box. Then I dig in the basement for my box of cable TV leftovers, from a couple of cable TV jobs I did for friends. I find myself 6 two-port coax splitters, and a huge pile of 3' F-style coax cables. Dig in another box and find piles of gold plated F-connector to BNC adapters. I'm going to make this work :D Since the Aardvark has 6 outputs, and I have 11 pieces of digital gear that requires wordclock (at the front of the room) and one unit (Korg Triton) at the back of the room, I hook up all the splitters and adapters, run the wires again, and boot everything simultaniously with the power switch.

Viola, everything finds wordclock, and is now syncronized. Yay, something worked without introducing smoke into my studio's air. I started wiring the six TMD1000's mixers together in daisy chain fashion as I had before I moved here, to the TMD4000 main mixer. Everything is fine, except I cannot find two of the TMD1000 power supplies. I was missing three but I found one in the garage. I'd hate to think the other two are in the garage, I can barely walk in my 2 car garage anymore, I've squirrelled away a ton of car parts to sell on e-bay to help offset the cost of my studio. I guess it's time to start digging.

Well, 2/3 of my console table lights up, finds wordclock, and talks to one another. At least that's progress.

frederic said:
Spent a few hours doing that, trying to keep the cabling neat so I can crawl back there without knocking everything out, and powered up the wordclock generator, plugged in the 32-port buffer, and I hear a pop sound and the power LED on my homemade unit never lit. Of course all my digital gear is now blinking, or screaming "external wordclock not found".

Okay, this is very annoying. I double checked my wiring of the new power jack and it was correct. Okay. Wonder why it blew up. I put a voltmeter across the output of the wall wart, 113V DC. No, that can't be. I check again. 113V DC. I pulled it out of the outlet to read the face, and it's supposed to be 12V DC @ 1A. It's a switching power supply type wall wart, not the usual "I'll get hot and cook myself" transformer based wall wart. I plug it in and measure it again, 113V DC. WTF? Apparently the switching power supply circuit inside short circuited, and took my 32-port wordclock buffer with it. Nice. It did work at one point. Oh well. (insert more loud swearing and some banging of my head on the floor).

Condolensces! That really sucks! I cant believe 113vDC?!?!?

thane1200 said:
Condolensces! That really sucks! I cant believe 113vDC?!?!?

Yeah, 113VDC. Apparently the only thing inside that was working was the bridge rectifier. Since it's glued together, I beat it open with a hammer, and found the three of the four mosfets were shorted, thus always "on". This provides a direct path from the initial bridge rectifier to the output plug.

So yea, 113V. It's now outside in the yard somewhere. I got pissed off and threw the cracked-open mess out the window. I'll mow over it tomorrow.

Grrrrrrrr.

Now I'm hunting for cheap scsi cables and terminators on ebay. Might as well get something right. What ticks me off is I chucked a huge box of computer-related cables a month ago, since I thought I had enough scsi cables for this. Turns out... I must have chucked the good cables.

Grrrrrrrrr.

frederic said:
Yeah, 113VDC. Apparently the only thing inside that was working was the bridge rectifier. Since it's glued together, I beat it open with a hammer, and found the three of the four mosfets were shorted, thus always "on". This provides a direct path from the initial bridge rectifier to the output plug.

Yeah, bridge wreck-tifier! (sorry couldn't resist)

thane1200 said:
Yeah, bridge wreck-tifier! (sorry couldn't resist)

LMAO. Cute.

I successfully mowed over it this morning, now it's in very tiny pieces as my mulching blade is very sharp. It's now in the composter with all the lawn debris I just mulched.

Wonder if my wife will notice. From the earth it shall return.

I'm convinced that our existance on the planet as a species, is to make plastic. Mother Earth needs plastic for some reason. Once she has enough, she'll tornado us out of the ecosystem.

Don't mind me, my brain becomes "odd" when I've had 2 hours sleep!

The good news is I have wordclock. Tomorrow I do the lightpipe stuff.

Sorry I can't make the party, but if you want to send the patchbays and wiring to Kansas I'll be glad to do some soldering for you (of course, it might accidentally be just the perfect fit for my rig :D )

Have fun :rolleyes:

Darryl.....

If you have two or three pieces of gear, great, some patch cords and you're done. But those of you wiring a studio with patch bays, planning goes a long way. I cannot stress this enough. My last "pro" studio had about 60 patch bays between studio "A", studio "B" and the equipment room where the recording devices, outboards, and midi modules were racked. We chose to put all the gear that may be shared together, in one room, so either studio could use different things independently of each other. Made patching inconvienent, as the engineer would have to get up and go next door to the machine room, which both cnsole rooms had access to on different sides. Anyway, the point is, that complexity was decided to be necessary, but it worked well because we planned ahead, and checked everything on paper several times, by different people, just to be sure.

Anyway, advice aside, I'm planning the wiring for my much smaller home studio. Here is how it turned out, if anyone is curious. While I put the midi jacks in the list, they aren't relative to the patch bay jack count. It's a cut and paste from my tables, which also includes other information such as power requirements (120V 3-prong, 120V 2 prong, 9Vac wall wart, and so forth. Some of the gear has permanently mounted power cords as well, something I happen to like very much. I hate wall warts and often roland uses these oddball 2-prong computer cords which finding replacements for is doable, but a bit of a hassle. Jameco has them as does Digikey.

Calculated that I need to have a total of 228 patch bay jacks for the gear installed in my producer's desk. So that comes out to five 48-pt patch bays with some room left over. Plus, four to match the front patch bays behind the console table. This will require 9U of space which works out well because I wasn't sure how much space I'd need and I allocated 14U for patch bays in the producer's desk. That leaves 5U left for future expansion, in gear or patch bays or both.

Rack 1: 79 patch bay jacks
  • Roland VP70 - Midi I/O/T, Out L/R, XLR In = 3 TRS
  • Oz Audio HR4 - Main L/R in, L/R in x 4 = 10 TRS
  • Ross Mainframe - Midi I/O/T, XLR L/R in, XLR L/R out = 4 TRS
  • Ultracurve Pro - Midi I/O/T, TRS L/R in, TRS L/R out = 4 TRS
  • Composer Pro - TRS L/R in, TRS L/R out = 4 TRS
  • Zoom 1202 - TS L/R in, TS L/R out = 4 TRS
  • Symetrix 488 - TRS 1-8 in, TRS 1-8 out = 16 TRS
  • Chandler Tube DRiver - TS Line in/out, TS Inst in/out = 4 TRS
  • Rolls RM203 (a) TS L/R x 10, L/R out, TS Aux send, TS return L/R = 15 TRS
  • Rolls RM203 (b) TS L/R x 10, L/R out, TS Aux send, TS return L/R = 15 TRS

Rack 2: 26 patch bay jacks
  • Art FXL Elite (a) - Midi I/T, TS L/R in, TS L/R out = 4 TRS
  • Art FXL Elite (b) - Midi I/T, TS L/R in, TS L/R out = 4 TRS
  • Yamaha R100 (a) - Midi In, TS in, TS L/R out = 3 TRS
  • Yamaha R100 (a) - Midi In, TS in, TS L/R out = 3 TRS
  • Alesis Quadraverb - Midi I/O/T, TS L/R in, TS L/R out = 4 TRS
  • Alesis Midiverb II - Midi I/O/T, TS L/R in, TS L/R out = 4 TRS
  • Behringer Virtualizer Pro = Midi I/O/T, TS L/R in, TS L/R out = 4 TRS

Rack 3: 78 patch bay jacks
  • Kawai R100 - Midi I/O/T, TS L/R out, TS 1-8 out = 10 TRS
  • Procussion = Midi I/O/T, TS L/R out1, TS L/R out2, TS L/R out3 = 6 TRS
  • Alesis D4 - Midi I/O/T, TS L/R out, TS L/R Aux, triggers 1-12, footsw = 17 TRS
  • Akai XE8 = Midi I/O/T, TS out, TS indv out 1-8 = 9 TRS
  • Tascam 202MKII - RCA L/R in, RCA L/R out = 4 TRS
  • Kurzweil 1000PX - Midi I/O/T, TS L/R out = 2 TRS
  • Korg M3R - Midi I/O/T, TS Out L/R, TS OUt 3/4 = 4 TRS
  • Casio VZ10M - Midi I/O/T, TS out, XLR out, TS Line Out 1/2 = 4 TRS
  • Casio VZ8M - Midi I/O/T, TS L/R out = 2 TRS
  • Yamaha TG55 (a) - Midi I/O/T, TS out L/R, TS Indv 1/2 = 4 TRS
  • Yamaha TG55 (b) - Midi I/O/T, TS out L/R, TS Indv 1/2 = 4 TRS
  • Yamaha TG77 - Midi I/O/T, Out1 L/R, Out2 L/R, indv out 1-8 = 12 TRS

Rack 4: 29 patch bay jacks
  • Korg EX800 - Midi I/O/T, TS out = 1 TRS
  • Peavey Bass - Midi I/O/T, TS L/R out = 2 TRS
  • Proteus 1000 - Midi I/O/T, TS L/R out = 2 TRS
  • Roland MDC-1 - Midi I/O/T, TS L/R out1, TS L/R out2= 4 TRS
  • Yamaha MU90R - Midi I1/I2/O/T, TS L/R out = 2 TRS
  • Korg Triton Rk - Midi I/O/T, TS L/R out, TS indv 1-4 = 6 TRS
  • Roland S550 - Midi I/O/T, TS out, TS indv 1-8, NTSC out = 9 TRS
  • Roland MKS100 - Midi I/O/T, TS out = 1 TRS
  • Akai S700 (a) - Midi I/O/T, TS out = 1 TRS
  • Akai S700 (b) - Midi I/O/T, TS out = 1 TRS

Vocal Booth: 16 patch bay jacks

Yuk. Lots of soldering. Plus I have to make more patch cords. I had enough time today to make six, for a total of 14 completed patch cords.

Back