Microsuede fabric to cover traps and panels?

RawDepth

I may be ordering some new treatments soon. I was curious about the new fabric that ATS offers called Microsuede, so I had a few sample swatches sent over.

It seems to be an imitation suede leather with a tight-weave cloth backing. It is very attractive but it doesn't look to be very "acoustically" transparent at all. I could neither blow through it nor see light though it. When held up to cover my ear, things do indeed sound different.

What say you? Will this be a problem? Does the fabric really make a major difference in performance or only a minor one?

(I really don't care for the appearance of burlap.)

Eh...it'll be fine below 900Hz anyway. If ATS is selling it it's probably fine. The high frequency characteristics are the question. Why don't you call them or shoot them an email? I'm sure they'd be happy to answer the question.

Frank

Eh...it'll be fine below 900Hz anyway........The high frequency characteristics are the question

Hey Frank,

I'm still a little confused about the whole treatment thing sometimes. So, I have to ask why you say that the high-end is the question. I thought that high end is pretty easy to "trap". Foam, or just about anything on the walls will get rid of treble, from what I understand. I thought that it's the low frequencies that are harder to absorb. So, why do you say that he'll be fine for anything under 900hz, but maybe not the high-end????

Hey Frank,

I'm still a little confused about the whole treatment thing sometimes. So, I have to ask why you say that the high-end is the question. I thought that high end is pretty easy to "trap". Foam, or just about anything on the walls will get rid of treble, from what I understand. I thought that it's the low frequencies that are harder to absorb. So, why do you say that he'll be fine for anything under 900hz, but maybe not the high-end????
Because if he wants to use it to trap mid-high frequencies, ie first reflection points, then it may not be suitable.

The denser the material the more reflective it is...that is to say, the more of the frequency spectrum it reflects. The less dense, the more transparent it is. The microsuede might be just dense enough to be too reflective from maybe 2 or 3Khz on up, and I'm thinking mainly of the backing on the fabric. Foam works the way it does because of it's open-celled structure...apples/oranges with microsuede.

Frank

Eh...it'll be fine below 900Hz anyway. If ATS is selling it it's probably fine. The high frequency characteristics are the question. Why don't you call them or shoot them an email? I'm sure they'd be happy to answer the question. Frank

I agree. Contact ATS and be very specific with your questions.

Back