Mic reflection filter...hmmm

Maty J

Edit from op:

New question - professionally treated room, mic needing reflection filtering. Se pro or Kaotica eyeball? Or DIY eyeball from cored av Titans corner fill bass trap 30x30 cube? Wider core, less bottom end inflation? Will this achieve the same effect as the eyeball?

Last edited:
Not really an answer to your question but....the word "foam" and acoustic treatment shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

Bass traps aren't made out of foam either. If they are, they're not bass traps and are probably ruining the acoustics more than helping. Basically, other than a bit of spot treatment AFTER properly trapping a room with PROPER bass traps, foam is pretty much useless.

Just sayin'...since you mentioned "acoustic foam". Sorry for going slightly off-topic.

Ok, poor choice to use the word foam. The room is a professionally calibrated and trapped room; so not discussing the room lets take into account the materials that both of these mic reflection products consist of, some sort of multilayered, polyurethane/fibreglass air pocketed compound, the previous question still stands. Any thoughts or comments on this? Please do not digress, if you wish to discuss other topics please do so in another forum. Also please note this is not for room treatment but close proximity direct reverberation shielding around the microphone itself. It is to provide a dry flat tone

Please do not digress, if you wish to discuss other topics please do so in another forum

First of all, YOU are the one that mentioned "Acoustic foam", so I didn't digress at all. It might not have answered your question directly, but it pertained to something YOU said.

Second of all, don't come here with less than 5 posts and start telling people what to do or not do. Is this your first time on a public forum? People "digress" all the time, and conversations branch out to other topics regularly. So, I'll "digress" all I want. If you don't like it, stay off the internet, but don't give me orders, Gomer.

Yes I do, but 'd rather talk about the fact that I think they should have handed off to Marshawn Lynch instead of trying that pick play. Also, A-Roid's a cheater.

I'll keep you posted on other stuff as it pops into my head.

OK....That's enough for now. Hopefully, someone will answer your question. I sure as hell won't, but I won't keep interrupting either. Unless, you provoke me, of course. ;)

First, I have no experience with either. My room does not need isolation within itself. The SE has been around for years and has a good name. The eyeball thing looks, and sounds like a gimmick. May be the best thing since OC705, but it looks like pure snake oil. If I had to get a mike isolated from flutter echo or what-not, I'd use the SE.
Second, RAMI, seriously funny, but maybe a little inappropriate...:laughings:

Seriously funny, but maybe a little inappropriate...:laughings:

Yes, I agree that coming onto a forum with 3 posts and telling people what to say and what not to say, when the person you're giving orders to was actually addressing something pertinent that was brought up in the OP, is very inappropriate. Totally.

As long as people keep addressing me and talking to me, I'm going to keep derailing this potential train-wreck. I already said I'll stay out of the way as long as people keep me out of it. :)

Not what I meant. I didn't think that part was funny at all. :)
Maybe there's some problems that need addressed, but you can't clean the fish unless you keep it on the shore.

The Se looks very well engineered, however acoustic tests on the eyeball and before and afters seem to show a beautiful dry and much flatter response and sound that seems to allow more for digital reverb and easier eq'ing, if any! Maybe Just a low end reduction, but dryer the better? It would seem a very similar sound to a fully treated vocal booth, just more condensed. But $300 for a hollowed ball? The av Titan acoustic corner bass fill looks a very similar material, I feel hollowing out this in the same fashion as the eyeball would achieve the exact same result for $25.

Here is a fantastic before and after.

http://youtu.be/DUrcYrpu22o

There is a noticeable low end bump but easily eq'd out and the after is quite dramatic . This, to my ears, seems to be a very similar if not identical sound to the professional recording booths at uni.

Again Rami sincere appoligies for any insult.

Again Rami sincere appoligies for any insult.

Accepted. It's all good. I apologize, too. I'm sure it wasn't the best entrance you've ever made, but it also wasn't the best welcome on my part.

I don't know much about reflection filters, but in my opinion, from what you've described about your studio, is that you probably don't need one. Seems to me that you have a pretty well treated room. I really don't know how much difference a reflection filter will make. I know a few members here have experience with them, though, so hopefully one of them will come in and share his/her experience.

I posted THIS in the 'Introduce Yourself' thread.

I did not realize you had placed the question in an on topic forum..

And I will agree that you should not be offended if someone states a response that 'is' directly related to your question. Even if it is not directly what you asked.

I consider myself lucky that anyone with great knowledge and results themselves even have time to post responses.

RAMI is one that I respect and he sure as well gets good tone in a home recording studio environment. He may come across as crass at times but the dood is trying to help.

Please realize that when someone gives advice (even if it is not what you want to hear), it is their opinion and they are offering it for free.

In this case RAMI was actually correct. Acoustic foam 'bass traps' can be effective, but require a huge amount of space and cost to achieve the same results as OC703 or rockwool products.

This is fact.

Last edited:
Also please note this is not for room treatment but close proximity direct reverberation shielding around the microphone itself. It is to provide a dry flat tone

I have a reflection filter...just got one to get one I guess, as I've done a lot of vocals in the same room without one in the past.
Anyway...it's not going to give you a really dry/flat tone in any obvious way. It just takes a little off of any early reflections, which if your room is as treated as you say...shouldn't be there in any bad way to begin with.

Only reason I wanted to try it is because I tend to use my main vocal mic in a somewhat figure 8 pattern...not quite full figure eight, but sorta ha;f way between cardioid and figure 8...so the back side of my mic is hot, and I just wanted to try it out.
TBH...I didn't notice much of a difference with or without...but my room is also fairly well treated, so I don't have any real problems with early reflections.

Not sure what you are expecting...but hey, buy one and try it out. Same thing I did. :)

it is this particular before and after that has me extremely interested, my room does sound good, especially for monitoring and mixing, but not entirely for vocals. It is OK, but not perfect. I am only now looking for better vocals (or vocals similar to this video) since seeing this device.

Your thoughts on this video? (Very dramatic shift as its a completely standard room, but the after is still quite a change from my room vocals at present; which aren't bad, but I would like them radio, album ready and tuneable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUrcYrpu22o

at 1:44 she sings in an untreated room, at 2:11 she sings into the kaotica. It sounds very much like a sealed/isolated vocal booth.

I think what I am asking is has this video been eq'd by any chance, do you think there has been tweaking here to make this sound as good as it does?

Also, if it is merely an acoustic polyurethane or some sort of open-celled material wouldn't any imitation of this produce similar results?

Um, what are they comparing to? Is she not singing into the 'Eyeball' on the first track? Were they recording with another mic somewhere in the room?

I do not suggest falling into reviews that you see n Youtube. Many of them are BS sales ads. This IMO is one of them.

Oh, and so no comment on my post? Whatever.

Go ahead and waste your money.

at 1:44 she sings in an untreated room, at 2:11 she sings into the kaotica. It sounds very much like a sealed/isolated vocal booth.

I think what I am asking is has this video been eq'd by any chance, do you think there has been tweaking here to make this sound as good as it does?

Also, if it is merely an acoustic polyurethane or some sort of open-celled material wouldn't any imitation of this produce similar results?

First thing....at 1:44 you are not hearing the vocal mic, you are hearing the camera mic, which is some cheap POS and is picking up everything.

Second...I'm not sure why some people think that a dead/dry vocal track is always the "pro" way it should sound...?
Heck, you could take the mic into a walk-in closet and get the same effect. The clothes will make it dead and dry.

Third....you are then going to have to add artificial "room" to the vocal.

I mean, if your studio is a shitty sounding as that guy's living room in the video, then I could see why anything would improve the sound...but if you have a decent room.....buy it and try it.
I don't know what else your looking for here AFA answers.

It has become the trend foir people to do vocals in dead little booths...and the next best thing is to wrap something around the mic and make it dead.

I don't much care for that, and prefer a little room in the vocal track. It just sounds more natural IMO.

First thing....at 1:44 you are not hearing the vocal mic, you are hearing the camera mic, which is some cheap POS and is picking up everything.

Second...I'm not sure why some people think that a dead/dry vocal track is always the "pro" way it should sound...?
Heck, you could take the mic into a walk-in closet and get the same effect. The clothes will make it dead and dry.

Third....you are then going to have to add artificial "room" to the vocal.

I mean, if your studio is a shitty sounding as that guy's living room in the video, then I could see why anything would improve the sound...but if you have a decent room.....buy it and try it.
I don't know what else your looking for here AFA answers.

It has become the trend foir people to do vocals in dead little booths...and the next best thing is to wrap something around the mic and make it dead.

I don't much care for that, and prefer a little room in the vocal track. It just sounds more natural IMO.

Yep, and listen to the difference between the commentator and the guy he is talking to. Obviously neither were used in the same room with the foam thingy....

Back