Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mic, preamp, or interface

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by davecg321 View Post
    This is exactly why I am thinking of a external pre... the interface is too clean. I want some character. Surely most studios would opt for an external pre over any interface pre...?
    Well, much of boutique pre-amp "lore" has been blown away a lot by the 2012 Sound on Sound pre amp shootout! Then, not every studio mic amp has a hundredweight of "attitude" you know? I have mentioned the Grace. The Focusrite Red is a very well regarded pre amp (and VERY simple. Nice traff and an NE5534) very low noise and I understand virtually no character at all and driving it hard just makes it sound bad!

But then I am of the Old School. Get the best, most faithful sound you can in the can and THEN eff about with it IF you like!

Dave.

Thanks
    Rode NT1A into a fire studio is a practical, dependable and extremely good quality combination. If you want character, add it afterwards. If you have money to burn, consider your whole system and work out where the best value for money gain is.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    But then I am of the Old School. Get the best, most faithful sound you can in the can and THEN eff about with it IF you like!
    Yep. I suggested that without realising you had already done so. Maybe hearing the same advice twice might have an effect.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    Yep. I suggested that without realising you had already done so. Maybe hearing the same advice twice might have an effect.
    It might indeed Mr G. No worries.

Dave.

Thanks
    IF you are indeed using AV30s, then that's the first place to put some money. With a low end of 90Hz, you can't mix anything with reliability on them. Like Mark, I had a pair and then upped to the JBL LSR305s, because that's what my budget allowed.
    Do you have acoustic treatment in your mixing room? Without treatment and better monitors, you can't even judge the mic and preamp you have.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    There's nothing wrong with character up front, but versatile amps can be used on both ends - however you please. I just looked up the Jr. thing, as I didn't know it existed. If you want to understand that game, you pretty much have to buy one, and this one won't bust the bank.

Thanks
    Buy a really good mic. I did and made more improvement than all the preamps (ISA2, ART MPA Gold, LA610, Focusrite 478) and plugins (too many to mention) I threw at it.
    No amount of harmonic distortion and reverb will ever make a cheap mic sound like you want it to.
    It's like buying a new <insert favorite automobile> vs using your grandpa's Ford Pinto. Not a chick magnet.

Thanks
    What mic did you buy ido?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
    Buy a really good mic. I did and made more improvement than all the preamps (ISA2, ART MPA Gold, LA610, Focusrite 478) and plugins (too many to mention) I threw at it.
    No amount of harmonic distortion and reverb will ever make a cheap mic sound like you want it to.
    It's like buying a new <insert favorite automobile> vs using your grandpa's Ford Pinto. Not a chick magnet.
    Long, long ago...That was the mantra in the tape recorder magazines "get a better microphone". Tape recorders were not bad, 40Hz to 12kHz at 3.75ips for a domestic and way better if you could aspire to the dizzy heights of a Revox or Ferrograph. The latter had a low Z transformer input. Mics of the day for the tyro were AKG D 202, Grampian, Audix and the ubiquitous Reslo ribbons (of Cavern fame) . Pros were using STC dynamics and the 4038 ribbon, the latter of course has well stood the test of time. Shure and capacitor mics were rarely seen.

Dave.

Thanks
    My magnetophon 76 from '59-62? does 30-16k at 3 3/4ips, and some of those period Senny MICs do very good.

Of course, it might be the telefunken tubes and electronics that make it sound so good. But the little shaver sounds better than my DIN Tandberg Mic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails magnetophon76b-jpg  

Thread Information