Mic Placement

andrushkiwt

hey, would anyone recommend a better spot for the mic in this room? I'm using an otherwise unused space for my recordings. Some of you might know that my vocals are often the most complimented aspect of my tracks, but i'm wondering if I could make them even better by moving the mic to a different in this room. It's carpeted, one window (with curtain closed) and 10, or so, foot ceilings. Move it to a corner? middle more? facing which way? open to suggestions, though, again, i'm pleased with the sound...just wondering if something even better could be accomplished by positioning. thanks!

room3.jpgroom2.jpgroom1.jpg

of course, a fully mixed sample here. (sorry, no raw atm) this is also in the clinic, hope that's ok: https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt/hearts-collide

Looks like a pretty empty reflective room. Do your raw vocals sound particularly live or ambient? Is it a good thing?
If there's unwanted ambience you'd probably get more out of room treatment than mic position, but both are worth experimenting with for sure.

Recommendations are good but take a few hours one day and just track the same chorus 5-10 times.
In the corner facing in...corner facing out...centre of the room...closer to a wall.
Keep all the recordings totally dry for fair comparison.

If that closet door slides right into the wall it might be worth trying a mic position where the closet is behind you, off to the side a little.
There'd be fewer reflections coming straight back at the mic if the full closet was in line of sight.

I made 4 panels, each 4'x2'x4". They're just made from shirting board scraps and modesty blocks, covered with old bedsheets. Basically free.
They're filled with 4" rock wool which wasn't too expensive at all.
If ambience is a problem, those can help massively and you can push them under the bed when not in use.

Looks like a pretty empty reflective room. Do your raw vocals sound particularly live or ambient? Is it a good thing?
If there's unwanted ambience you'd probably get more out of room treatment than mic position, but both are worth experimenting with for sure.

Recommendations are good but take a few hours one day and just track the same chorus 5-10 times.
In the corner facing in...corner facing out...centre of the room...closer to a wall.
Keep all the recordings totally dry for fair comparison.

If that closet door slides right into the wall it might be worth trying a mic position where the closet is behind you, off to the side a little.
There'd be fewer reflections coming straight back at the mic if the full closet was in line of sight.

I made 4 panels, each 4'x2'x4". They're just made from shirting board scraps and modesty blocks, covered with old bedsheets. Basically free.
They're filled with 4" rock wool which wasn't too expensive at all.
If ambience is a problem, those can help massively and you can push them under the bed when not in use.

Closet closes, yeah. I don't want to invest much at this point because I'm out of this place soon. When I get my new condo, I'll have a dedicated room more suitable for recording. In the meantime, easier, cheaper ideas ('free are best ) are welcome. I'll try moving it closer to a corner and see.

I'm looking for (listening for) the driest, least reflective sound possible? I have a feeling I'll move it against the wall and hear no I difference. Lol. Not that it isn't there - just that I won't notice it.

Closet closes, yeah.

Opens.... ;)
Some of the stuff you've got in there would diffuse better than a painted wall, at least.

I'm looking for (listening for) the driest, least reflective sound possible? I have a feeling I'll move it against the wall and hear no I difference. Lol. Not that it isn't there - just that I won't notice it.

If can hear a problem you might be surprised how much you can hear changes to the problem so certainly try a handful of positions, keeping all else equal.
How far away do you generally stay from the mic? If there's room to turn the gain down and get closer without any issues that'll help a lot.

First reflection points are the closest points on the walls/floors/ceilings where sound comes from you, bounces, and hits the mic.
So, if there's a way to have anything but a flat shiny surface at your first reflection points, that's bound to make an audible difference.
(open closet, open door, heavy dense materials....I dunno)

Singing diagonally across the room is another thing to try; That way the reflections to your left and right aren't coming straight back at the mic.
It looks like you're set up for that in the pics?

Yes, I set it up so it's more in the middle of the room for the least reflections nearby. Carpet is best, no? I've got that. When I open the door, too much sound from the house gets in. I keep it closed. That window picks up stuff...but in the mix, can't hear it.

I guess I just wanted to know if there was something obvious that anyone would point out from the pictures. Like..."oh Jesus. Get it out of there and move it against the wall by chair" whatever etc... If there's nothing so "wrong" , I'll either leave it or try with my back to the corner .

I would be standing in the threshold of the closet (same door open as in photo), facing into the room not quite toward the opposite corner. Less reflection from behind you courtesy of the closet, longest distance of reflection courtesy of the angle.

John's idea is the same as I was going to say. Keep the room reflections from getting back into the side of the mic you're singing into. Hang an old duvet across that corner )clip to the closet and window frames, and use it behind you, facing out into the longest dimension of the room.
Consider building some 2'x4'x4" rockwool bass traps - easy to move around and take with you when you move. Everyone seems to fight this idea when starting out (I sure did!) but they make a world of difference, both in tracking and in mixing.

Why are we trying to bring in suggestions from the photos - have you not just put headphones on and moved around the room, looking for that elusive sweet spot. The pictures suggest places to perhaps start, but surely you spend a bit of time and experiment, which is the nature of recording - best guess, then tiresome but essential tweaking.

When looking to make something better, the first step is to define "better".

If you have no idea what would make your vocals better or what quality in the recording needs to be adressed, there is no way to make it better.

You say that you get compliments on the vocals and that you are generally pleased with them. What is better than that?

And here we go....

You know, if the problem was mic'ing an amp and I had a picture of the amp on its back with the Mic on the ceiling, someone would obviously say "no, this is wrong". Be honest.

I'm simply seeing if there's something common sense that I'm doing wrong here...if not, it's all good and let's move on. If I have only the heard the vocals one way, I wouldn't know if another is better. Before I move anything around, and possibly waste a Saturday, i'm asking opinions. That's the point of this forum. I don't know Rob, but Farview has listened to my tracks and left comments...so I'm a little surprised at this one. I dont think Steen and MBJ would take the time to answer if there weren't other options out there. I could spend all day doing every possible scenario....OR....I could use this forum for its purpose and get experienced help. From some. ?

For what it's worth...I'll try moving them to corners and facing the middle, see how that sounds. Thnx

Actually, the best way to record a pig noses or other such micro amp is to place it flat on its back. It couples with the floor that way and adds some much needed low end.

I wasn't trying to be condescending, I was simply asking what about the vocal sound do you want to improve. I've seen too many people spend a ton of money, time and effort trying to find some undefined "better".

Actually, the best way to record a pig noses or other such micro amp is to place it flat on its back. It couples with the floor that way and adds some much needed low end.

I wasn't trying to be condescending, I was simply asking what about the vocal sound do you want to improve. I've seen too many people spend a ton of money, time and effort trying to find some undefined "better".

That's what I'm saying...nothing in particular. I'm not trying to improve anything specific...I dont hear many problems. However, I'm new to this and because I can't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there. Sometimes there are common sense things and I'm just wondering if I'm missing one of them.

No worries man, you're always a good help - apologies.

How are the reflections in the room? If you clap, can you hear it come back at you?

In my room, (9'x9'x9' - yes it really is a box) I have no reflections. It's practically dead. Acoustic guitars sound dull and lifeless to the ear. Not an enjoyable room to sit and play for hours. No matter where I position myself or mic, I get the same sound from a clap, voice, guitar, whatever. It's good for tracking.

And here we go....

You know, if the problem was mic'ing an amp and I had a picture of the amp on its back with the Mic on the ceiling, someone would obviously say "no, this is wrong". Be honest.

I'm simply seeing if there's something common sense that I'm doing wrong here...if not, it's all good and let's move on. If I have only the heard the vocals one way, I wouldn't know if another is better. Before I move anything around, and possibly waste a Saturday, i'm asking opinions. That's the point of this forum. I don't know Rob, but Farview has listened to my tracks and left comments...so I'm a little surprised at this one. I dont think Steen and MBJ would take the time to answer if there weren't other options out there. I could spend all day doing every possible scenario....OR....I could use this forum for its purpose and get experienced help. From some. ?

For what it's worth...I'll try moving them to corners and facing the middle, see how that sounds. Thnx
Well really then, the answer (and the same ones I would have said), were given in the first several posts! (Steenamaroo, Masive', Mjbphotos..) Get your back and the 'hot side of the mic up in or near the only non-reflecting place in there. And/or hang some soft stuff up around you and the mic.
[wipes hands on pants' as some put it..?

That's what I'm saying...nothing in particular. I'm not trying to improve anything specific...I dont hear many problems. However, I'm new to this and because I can't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there. Sometimes there are common sense things and I'm just wondering if I'm missing one of them.

No worries man, you're always a good help - apologies.

A real good eye' opener is to walk up -ear near a decent couple of inch depth slab of absorption material or panel. The extinction of the 'reflective effect... will speak volumes ;)

Back