making xlr wall panel

Falopo

Hey, ive been trying to find an already made xlr patch, for my studio. Id like to have something like 24 inputs, that go from the main room, to the control room. I saw one on ebay once but i lost the auction. so i was thinking about making on. I was wondering what exactly i would need to make one. i figure something like this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2526428580&category=23789
and then something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2526705478&category=23783 .
What else would i need. and i think there is soldering involed with some parts i need to get, but ive never soldered before.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

and if you know where i can find an already put together one let me know. thanks

I fabricated this out of a blank two space rack spacer and Switchcraft panal mount XLRs. I used a hole saw to drill the holes in the spacer and soldered it up to some Beldon cable. It is in the wall between the controll room and the live room.

Attachments

• microphone  patch bay.jpg
    microphone patch bay.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 495
very nice, how much did that cost you and where can i get those parts at. thanks for the picture

I know what I would do....

I would go to my local electronics fixer person (someone that fixes televisions, radios, etc) and ask him to soder all that stuff together because if I did it myself I KNOW i would have lots of noise in the cables. then I would go to my local metal shop and get them to make something VERY similar to the first link posted. I would put 2x4's in the wall and screw that panel to the wall. I would then caulk it (because any good thing needs to be caulked) and then I would put a nice wood trim around it, just to make it look nice :D

I bought 5 reels of Beldon cable and the other XLRs for the other end and built a snake. I ran these right to the inputs of the mic preamps. The line outs of the pre's I brought up in a patch bay for routing. Soldering is a pretty easy skill to aquire and invaluble if you're going to tinker in audio.

well ive been looking around and i guess i figured out what im goin got do. but i still have some questions. i think im going to get a panel with 16 holes, and get 16 female xlr, which would be on the live room side. anyways, i bought a package of 10, 20 foot mic cables and im not going to need all of them. so i was wondering if i could use some of the extra cable and cut it up to solder on to the female xlr? would that work?

Hey falapo,

don't forget about headphones......

might want a couple extra i/os for headphones.....TRS or XLR depending on your headphone set-up

--Pick Man

Back