What desk

• Mackie PROFX22

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mackie ONYX 1620i

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

roryjd

Hi there,
I am moving to London next year to go to Uni. I want to earn a bit of money on the side so I am looking for into buying a new desk/interface that I can use it to record and for live sound. I am going to save for a nice set of mics and a patchbay with an EQ, compressor, an effects unit, and a headphone amp if needed. I don't want much gear as my plan is to be mobile so I will need to be able to get it around easily, so I think this is the minimum I will need.

My home studio at the moment consists of an Edirol FA-66 interface, Citronic Monitors (I know they suck before anyone comments, but I am getting new mons after christmas), and run Logic and Ableton from my Macbook.

I have been looking into getting either the Mackie ProFX22 or the Mackie ONYX 1620i. (it wont let me attach the image links so google them)

I am stuck between which desk to get, because they are both good. The FX22 has 22 channels (so better for live sound), but it only has 2 aux sends, the inserts are on the front (so patching up outboard gear will make it spaghetti junction) however, it does have 10 inserts, but it is USB. So this desk would be great for live sound with the 18 xlr channels, but the 2 aux's lets it down. As a firewire only user, I don't know what USB recording is like. How does it cope with multitrack recording? Is there any difference in latency?
We have a smaller version of this desk at our college and it's great, but I tried it once to record but Logic wouldn't recognise each channel.

The 1620i has 4 aux sends, 16 channels (8 are xlr, 9-16 are jack), is firewire, has inserts on the back, but has less channels. So to use this desk live would limit me. However for recording, this desk would be great. It has built in talkback too which would be useful. Another good thing about this desk is the size. I would be able to fit it into a mobile flight case, and I can have a rack underneath. This would be handy live and for recording.

Both are great desks for recording on, and for live sound, however I am unsure which one to get, so if anyone has used one before, or owns one and could let me know what they think I should go for, please let me know!

Thanks, Rory

Back