Low-Cost DIY Studio Desk Builds

homestudioguy

Here are some recent photos of desks built using my PDF50 Build Plans.
As you can see, some have modified their desks from the "spec'd" desk.
All built for around $60-$90 (US) if not less.

This is from "Rikki Rokket" of California-check out the cool drummer throne/chair.
Rikki Rokket.jpg

This is from Luke of North Carolina
LukeL-NorthCarolina.jpg

This is from Robert
Desk from Robert A-1.jpg

This is from John A-Nice Marshall Amp IMO!
JohnC Desk1 (2).jpg

This is from Gregg who added a "side-car"
GreggGDesk1 (2).jpg

This is from "J"
J-NakedRecords.jpg

This is from Garrett of Ontario Canada
Garrett T-OntarioCanada-1.jpg

This from Jordan.
Desk from Jordan A.JPG

This is from Brian (I may have posted this one before)
Desk from Brian B-2.jpg

This is mine, currently with a 6 ft wide desktop instead of the spec'd 5 ft wide
Studio61515-2.jpg

Studio611515-1.jpg

Last edited:
Great design(s). I manage with what I have for now but could definitely benefit from a better desk.

I dont believe that there is a desk that can be purchased for the $70-$80 or so that it costs to build this one that provides so much "square footage" ;-)

Great design(s).
I manage with what I have for now but could definitely benefit from a better desk.
Thank You!
It's a fairly easy build and you can take the design concept and modify it anyway you wish as many have done.
I am guessing that the smaller desk shown here cost about $35-$40 and the shiny black one with the rack units on the left and right was at least $100 especially because he used a high gloss Automobile Paint.

I built mine as well - there wasn't going to be any place to source an 8 ft long one commercially - top is a sheet of 3/4" poplar pywood, and the pieces left over from stripping it lengthwise were used for the underneath shelf-support and the monitor shelves on either side of the top.
The only thing I've added since the photo below is an L-shaped sponge rubber edging all the way around the top - picked that up on Amazon for $15, so total cost of project was about $90. Oh, and got rid of those little MAudio monitors and my JBLs fit the shelf perfectly, had to cut 1.5" off the monitor shelf heights to make everything sit right, too.

studio2-2014.JPG

I built mine as well - there wasn't going to be any place to source an 8 ft long one commercially - top is a sheet of 3/4" poplar pywood, and the pieces left over from stripping it lengthwise were used for the underneath shelf-support and the monitor shelves on either side of the top.
The only thing I've added since the photo below is an L-shaped sponge rubber edging all the way around the top - picked that up on Amazon for $15, so total cost of project was about $90. Oh, and got rid of those little MAudio monitors and my JBLs fit the shelf perfectly, had to cut 1.5" off the monitor shelf heights to make everything sit right, too.

View attachment 94124

Nice looking desk! I think I have that exact same file cabinet by the way. :)

Nice looking desk! I think I have that exact same file cabinet by the way. :)

I burned that one last year in my firepit, it was falling apart after 25 years of use.

this reminds me I need to take some new pictures. All my PA gear is stashed out in the 3-season room right now because I've been running a new open mic every week, so it looks less cluttered.

I have been planning to build a recording desk in the next few weeks. I love these designs. I want something more like the "expensive" one with the racks on each side.

Thanks for posting!

Those desks look amazing.

Is the price you posted what it costs for the plans? Or what it costs to build it, plans, parts and all?

I built my desk from plans I bought on Alex Franke. Not under $100 unfortunatly but that's due to the rack hardware, the snake I wired into the side of that rack shown in the picture, some lights I installed under the bridge, the keyboard tray as well as using laminate birch plywood (which looks nice IMO) instead of MDF (wich looks meh IMO).

It would not be hard to add more rack space under the bridge as well, I just didn't need it when I made this desk.

https://www.facebook.com/RackCreations

Desk%20wide%201%20of%201_zps3507kswe.jpg

Desk%201%20of%201_zpspgvwh2ks.jpg

I built my desk from plans I bought on Alex Franke. Not under $100 unfortunatly but that's due to the rack hardware, the snake I wired into the side of that rack shown in the picture, some lights I installed under the bridge, the keyboard tray as well as using laminate birch plywood (which looks nice IMO) instead of MDF (wich looks meh IMO).

It would not be hard to add more rack space under the bridge as well, I just didn't need it when I made this desk.

https://www.facebook.com/RackCreations

Desk%20wide%201%20of%201_zps3507kswe.jpg

Desk%201%20of%201_zpspgvwh2ks.jpg

Looks beautiful! Nice job. :)

One of the pics shows a keyboard that appears to slide out from under the desk. If standard drawer slides are used what keeps it out when playing? It seams like it would want to "drift "back in while playing. All of these are very nice desk. I may build something very similar and would like to put my keyboard under the desk, but not sure how to keep it out once it is extended.

Back