Looking for help with placement in small room with several limitations.

Balron

Hello,

I did study several articles and forums for tips about home studios, but it basically made my situation even worse, as I can see too many obstacles right now :)

I have moved into new flat and I got whole room for my "studio". The issue is that room is only 4x2.8 meters and has two doors that are being opened into the room (one main doors + doors to balcony .. both at shorter sides). I understood, I should ideally face the shorter wall (= the one with doors or balcony) and sit at least 1.5m away from wall (38%). When I do this on first wall, the main doors will hit my table (1.5x0.75m). I could move the table a bit further from the wall, but this way I will be sitting almost in the middle of a room, which is bad, right?

I have read it's possible to place the table to longer wall, when the room is too narrow, but I do not know if my room is "narrow enough" for that.

So...what placement would you recommend in such room?

What I got:
- 4 x 2.8m room
- Adam Audio F5 monitors
- Monitor stands
- 2 corner bass traps (will buy more when needed)
- 2 1x1m acoustic treatment panels to put on walls
- 1.5 x 0.75m table

Once I get this placed, I would also like to arrange table with cd players + mix and another table with midi keyboard (quite a big one), but that's next step. I need to figure out how to place my "production table" first :)

Room (dimensions in millimeters):
room.png

Do you really need access to the balcony? If so, you're screwed in that room. If you can just hang a heavy drape over that whole wall, put your desk up against it, it's the best you're going to do. In a room that small, moving your desk out from the wall is not an option.
Read this thread about small room acoustics.

If you can't block the balcony door, put your desk against the other short wall, next to the door.
Build/buy some bass traps, you'll need them.

If you can't block the balcony door, put your desk against the other short wall, next to the door.
Build/buy some bass traps, you'll need them.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'll need to access the balcony at least sometimes (like 2-4x per year) - it basically acts as a storage place right now. So I guess the other wall will have to do. Once I move close to the wall, I'll be really close to being in the corner too :X

I'll read that thread, thanks for the link.

Just remember that ALL corners are available to trap bass, not just the vertical ones. If you can get a bass trap hung above the balcony door, it will help you. You don't HAVE to trap the corner where the door is (it would certainly be the best option.

Back