Looking to build a home studio.

Rhone

Haven't seen Lloyd
I have a fairly decent computer that runs the evil Vista 64 bit os. I want to record accoustic guitar, vocals, electric guitar, bass, maybe some odd banjo hoopla, and some drums down the line. I play kind of a punk/blues/rockabilly. Want a rig where I can record myself and also maybe a four piece band. I need advice on interfaces, mics, monitors, the works. Does anyone here know of a recording forum where I can learn these things? thanks,
rhone

Thanks for the replies. So far the only advice that I have gotten on any home recording site was basically: "just try stuff out and see what works best for you", which is awesome. And I do appreciate it.
But I am looking to spend something less than $48,000 in american dollars.

I suggest you learn as much as you can and befriend somebody who would be able to help guide you a bit before you spend that much money.

That's a big investment to make especially if you're uninformed.

On the link that I posted, he goes through different styles of recording set ups. Ranked by portability to number of inputs to high end and low end. Can be very good to read. There's a laundry list of things that have to be addressed when building a studio.

You'll have to do a little research for yourself to understand what you need to achieve what you want, then you can delve into the specifics. I wish I could help more but I have no experience with building a studio on a budget of that scale.

Good luck mate! Eric

Thanks for the replies. So far the only advice that I have gotten on any home recording site was basically: "just try stuff out and see what works best for you", which is awesome. And I do appreciate it.
But I am looking to spend something less than $48,000 in american dollars.

Well...I mean, your question is way, way too broad to be answered in a thread like this. Each one of those items is its own topic. There are dozens of ways to set up a home studio. Big issues to think about: what's your budget? How much space do you have? How much experience do you have?

Frank

I have as much space as anyone would ever need. I have very little to no experience recording anything worth listening to. I would like a nice interface with at least four decent preamps that works with a Gateway GT5426E with an upgraded hard drive running Windows Home Premium Vista 64. I don't really want to use Pro Tools because I don't want to have to deal with the proprietary nonsense.
I would like to spend something around $1200 on an interface or mixer/interface, a couple of monitors, and a good set of headphones.

I could live with a couple of preamps with phantom power. Or a quality interface and a external preamp. I have the software angle covered. I can go back to XP or up to Windows 7 but I would rather not. I will add a firewire card if I need to but I would rather use the USB 2.0. But I'm flexible.
I don't know what I need. That is why I'm asking.

Last edited:
It seems you have at least done some research. You have a good start in what you need but the most important advice I can give is do NOT purchase anything until you have a good understanding on what it does, how it works, and how it will work in your chain. Read read and then read some more. You need to figure out what your needs are as well as what they may be in the future. That way you can look into upgrading abilities so later on you can maybe just add instead of eliminating. As another example, not having to purchase a 8 in/out interface if your only ever going to be recording 4 tracks at a time. Your needs and your budget will deligate what equipment you need.

Okay...$1,200 isn't much to start with, but you could get a Presonus Firepod or something like that. It's not awesome, but it's okay. It'll do the job. That'll leave you with $900 or so for monitors and whatnot. I think the KRK Rokit 8's are okay in this range...somebody else might have a better suggestion. There's a bunch of good options on headphones depending on whether you want to track and reference with them, just track, or just reference. I have different sets for both of those functions.

Frank

I've asked around and I found a slightly used presonus firestudio project for $350 or a spanking new one for $400. Does that sound about right? Although it doesn't say, I assume that for $400 it is B-stock. Should I stay away from B-stock?
Are the Rokit's better than the Mackies in the same price range?
I found a set of used Rokit 8's for two hundred bones for the pair. But I hesitate to purchase used monitors. That seems like a bad idea. Since I don't know who used them and how.
Maybe a set of AKG k171's? Or something like that? I found a set for $140. Is there something better for cheaper or something better for the same?....Build wise & quality?
Is any of this correct? Should I be looking in a different direction? Is there anybody out there?
Maybe I should just buy some stuff and hope it works.
rhone

Last edited:
Do I need a Faderport or a Control Station for the firestudio project? Is the firestudio even a good option for my needs? I don't live in an area where I have ready access to various brands and models of recording equipment. I have to trust the goodwill and knowledge of strangers.
When some of the members here were first starting out where did they go to find anwers to their questions?

dude your the exact same way i was when i first wanted to record... just randomly aimlessly buying things and hoping they will work.

read this: http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

from top to bottom. everything. read it twice. read it three times. if your really as interested in recording as you seem to be, reading this should be fun for you (it was for me). trust me. this is your bible to newbie recording.

once you read that youll know everything there is to know (except technique) in the recording world.

also keep in mind that nothing is a better teaching tool than experience. if you have to, drive to the nearest guitar center or similar music store and go around bugging the employees and testing equipment out for a few hours.

DO NOT just go buying things you dont know anything about and crossing your fingers hoping its what you need.... youll be throwing alot of money away...

i hope ive been at least the slightest bit of help....

I haven't aimlessly purchased anything yet. But after reading Tweakhedz guide several times, reading online reviews of products, and reading many many of the threads here and on a couple of other recording sites for about four months, I have come to the conclusion that there isn't a general consensus on any of this stuff.
I know my questions were broad. But it seemed like the best method for me to find out what I needed was to create one thread where I could get some good information about building a Unit and not just a bunch of randomly selected components.
I want an 'honest' rig. I would rather do most of my mixing in the real world. And then record it as accurately as possible. I'm not really interested in tweaking my noise to sound better than I can actually play or sing or adding effects and whatnot to sound like something else.
cheerio, rhone

There is no general consensus on this stuff 'cause everyone is different, with different needs, budgets, experience, abilities, etc...
You need to find what works for you. At some point you do have to stop reading everything online, and talk to real people and listen to things in action (i.e. at a store, friends place, studio...).
I agonized for weeks on choosing my first piece of kit - an audio soundcard.
Eventually went to two stores and both salesguys recommended the same thing. I had read so so reviews on the internet, but took the leap and bought it anyway and it has worked perfectly for me and my needs.
Hope this helps!
Rich

Yeah, I think the best thing for me to do is just to buy some things and try to make them work.

Last edited:
If I were to be starting out today...

Interface- there are half a dozen good entry level interfaces in the $400 - $500 range. I'd look for something that will do 8 simultaneous tracks. Check out a Presonus Firepod or a MOTU 8pre. They have decent built in preamps. They're very easy to use. . If you get tired of it, sell it and upgrade. By the time you get tired of any of those, you should have some recording time under your belt, and a very good idea of your upgrade options.
You'll need a good firewire card for your computer if you dont already have it onboard (and beware, when alot of the firewire interfaces came out, they were picky about what chipset your firewire card used- I'd like to think they fixed that by now)

Monitors- I'd allocate at least $500 for monitors. Check offerings from Mackie, Yorkville (if they're still around?) Event.... Personally, I'd go with an 8" driver. Skip the separate external subwoofer that some have.

Mics- Just to get the ball rolling an sm57 (or my preference an Audix I5), and an inexpensive large diaphragm condenser- I have an Octava 319 I like alot (about $250 today- $100 bucks when I got it 7 years ago). Also check offerings from AudioTechnica or MXL. These are budget mics, but a decent starting point. You'll definitely add to your mic locker as you grow and learn.

Once you buy the cable you'll need, you'll be right around the $1200 mark. If you have extra cash, look into making some acoustic treatments.

I havent bought any of those things lately, so I'm sure you'll find people with strong feelings one way or the other on those things listed above. Do some research, check online reviews. Put together a list of things you are liking and post it up for people to critique. HR has LOTS of opinions. :p

Man, thanks for the good suggetions. Here is what I'm thinking so far:
Presonous Firestudio Project-$440
Krk rokit 6's + stands & cables-$400
AKG K171 MKII headphones-$160
firewire card with TI chip, pop filter, extra cables, mic stands,-$150 or so
=$1150
I already have a couple of sm 57's and a 58.

Next on the list to purchase down the road
Western Digital or LaCie external 1 Tb hard drive, a couple of Cad M179's, accoustic room treatments, and one of those beer helmets with a mouth straw.

Oh, I found those prices from a variety of vendors. But would It be better for me just to call up a place like Sweetwater(even though they are a little more expensive) and tell them what I want and see what kind of deal they will cut me? I would actually rather buy everything from one place. And I hear good things about Sweetwater.
rhone

My 2c. I'd never spend that much on headphones. You'll want to actually mix with your monitors. Headphone are just for tracking- I'd spend maybe $40 tops. Hell, I'm using a pair of radioshack cans, and they're fine for tracking. I'd rather put that cash elsewhere- either to better monitors or maybe towards a LD condenser mic.

Harvey Gerst used to sell the "MoreMe's" for like $20. Cheap and loud.

Back