Long Firewire + HDMI cables and cordless keyboard/mouse = snake / wiring replacement

Obi-Wan zenabI

I realized that I could move my cpu tower away from my desk and create a sort of secondary mix position / digital mixer control position. This way, the main stage piano/ midi setup can remain in the back of the studio where everything else is set up in a basic band arrangement!

The computer is about halfway between the big desk and the piano, tucked between a chair and the turntable shelf.

Scenarios:

1. I can let my son (one of those freak of nature natural ear piano guys who has been playing since age 3 or 4 -- he's 11 now) hang out at the piano while I sit at the main desk and run a session.

2. The couches facing the main desk can host a bunch of people for a community mixing session, where they can see and hear everything well. The couch is also a fairly comfortable pull out queen size bed to put up guests in a pinch.

3. Playstation 4/ Netflix/ 5.1 DVD and Blueray movie nights or vinyl collection listening sessions.

4. I can do the same thing with a full band sitting in the back of the room. The Firestudio is within 25' of any conceivable mic cable. There is a little ledge area over by the stairs near the left speaker that can be made into a temp. vocal semi-isolation area for scratch vocals during a full band take. Just need to hang the rest of my 703 and rig up a more permanent way to hang the moving blankets I've used in the past. Probably hooks and grommets to use during a session.

5. I can hang out at the piano all night with the X12 Air digital mixer up on the small screen by the piano and play and sing into the mic -- tweaking reverb etc on my mic and jamming along to my LP collection. (I did this last night for the first time in a very, very long time!)

5.5 Can also access youtube to learn tunes, do online lessons, fake book chords, lyrics, etc.

6. I can run a recording session while on my main instrument, the bass, with a full band -- easy access to the secondary screen.

7. I can set my 11 year old up to record to his heart's content on Cubase LE with headphones. He won't be able to break anything, and can do whatever he wants. I'll save Cubase 8 for when I'm up there with him.

8. I can do a rough mix from the piano (the monitors sound fine from back there) or move the V4's to the piano for a more serious session where I may want access to the pianos for baseline work or the Handsonic.

9. There is good access to the 1200's (for when I get my Rane mixer into the shop.)

10. The desk is open and clear for doing grad work / research.

I still have two years left of my doctoral program before I actually get time to have a band again, but the studio is ready to really record and rehearse for the first time in years.

More pics in the "Let's See Yer Studio" thread. Here's the post:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...let-me-see-your-studio-70931/423/#post4382697

It's a little cluttered, but everything is now in its place. My broadband treatment is still set up for mixing at the other end of the room, but that is an easy enough fix.

Last edited:
Back