Loft floor

Chrisyking

Hi. I'm doing a loft conversion studio. Any recommendations on the floor? It need to be as thin as possible so I can't do a floating floor.

At the moment I'm thinking rubber on the joists, then 12mm board, then 24T which is 18mm chipboard on to of 6mm foam. Rockwool underneath obvs.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Seems like it will possibly help a bit with decoupling to the room below, but you still have walls connected to same framing.

I do not know much about that as I have no need for it myself. Only what I have heard from others on forums. I would just assume every little bit can help. Don't quote me there. :)

Read blogs and maybe try email to John Brandt from HERE. He is really good about giving educated advice. His site is full of information and diagrams that will help you figure out what you may need.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Chris!

Hope you keep us posted about your progress and results!

Jimmy

Many thanks Jimmy. Yes I'm not too worried about the walls, it's more the floors. I don't want to put too much weight on the joists, and I can't lose too much height, so it's tricky.

Will try John Brandt. Many thanks for that!! Will let you know how it goes!!

LVT ( Luxury Vinyl Tile) is IMO the newest and most viable floor solution out there...It can be found very thin, as thin as 2 mm to 5 mm...comes in an amazing array of color and designs and shapes , is very easy to install, is inexpensive and very durable and dense. Google luxury Vinyl tile and educate yourself on it...... what we knew as vinyl tile 10 years ago is not what is available today... this stuff is the shizzle dizzle. Both my daughters have done their whole houses with it and love it. Easy to clean and maintain and "if" a plank or tile were to get damaged somehow, easy to repair. BTW waterproof too!

You sure you have suitable sized joists to carry all this weight? 36mm of sheet is pretty heavy. My loft only has 4" joists and some of the spans in the rooms would struggle a bit with this kind of weight, hence why I've not put in a non-studio loft conversion - I'd need to do some significant strengthening just for a standard chipboard floor, as some of the spans are nearly 6m.

There is this: JCW Acoustic Barrier Mat Weight Enhanced 5m x 1.2m x 1.2mm - 6m2 Roll | Insulation Superstore(R) which is only about 3kg/sq mtr but I have no idea how effective it is.

Dave.

I was going to suggest this as well, If this is like the stuff I used on my studio solid core doors, glued and stapled it on, to improve the sound proofing it was incredible, reduced the sound like I had doubled the door, mind you the door was heavy after LOL. In my day job I used it on a wall of a power station control room where the guys were getting a drone sound from the machinery, worked wonders.

Alan.

Back