living room studio design

LI Slim

My studio will be my den and living room. The den is about 9 by 15 and opens through double doors into the living room, which is about 18 by 15. I have several windows and don't need to worry about sound either coming in or getting out. I will be recording mainly acoustic guitar and vocals (with a mic(s)). Both rooms have hardwood floors, plasterboard walls, 8' ceilings. There's computer and stereo equipment, file cabinets and a bookcase in the den and a wall unit and large rug in the living room.

I've been looking at John Sayer's website, which is amazing, but I'm not sure how to adapt these concepts to my situation. It seems to me that I will need to experiment with facing in different directions in different parts of the rooms, and maybe positioning some sort of sound absortion materials somewhere. I also thought about playing out the window!

Does anyone have some advice as to how best to approach this, and perhaps some specific suggestions?

It sounds to me like you just need some decent studio foam on the walls. If you're not concerned about sound transmition, then you just have to concern yourself with quality sound. You don't have to have super solid walls to get good sound. All you need is some absorbtion on the walls and ceilings for what you're doing. Just to get rid of that echo/reverb.
How much? That depends on your ears. Go in the room you plan on recording in. Snap your fingers. Do you hear the sound resonating for a while? That's what you want to get rid of.

Clear anything up?

Thanks Brian. Yes and no. Let's say I don't want to attach foam or the like to the walls and ceilings. Do you have suggestions for temporary sound absorbtion stuff? Like, what if I draped a couple open sleeping bags around? Also, from what I've read, I don't want to do stuff that's primarily goin to absorb the highs. What do you think?

LI Slim said:
Thanks Brian. Yes and no. Let's say I don't want to attach foam or the like to the walls and ceilings. Do you have suggestions for temporary sound absorbtion stuff? Like, what if I draped a couple open sleeping bags around? Also, from what I've read, I don't want to do stuff that's primarily goin to absorb the highs. What do you think?

I'd say sure, sleeping bags would help.

Even mounting studio foam can be temporary. Mount the studio foam on some cardboard squares or something, then they can be taken down later.

I'm really tired and I can't reply anymore :) sorry...

Later,
-Brian

for some reason i have found that taking foam etc. and if you place it away from the wall slike a foot it works nicer then on the walls. and sometimes i think things like couches/ bookshelves work best, with either a clohe drapped over the fron tof the bookshelve or on the back if the bookshelve is in the middle of a room.

I recently glued some foam onto a couple pieces of 1/8" fiber board (which I got at Home Depot for $5) and hung them both up like pictures. It worked great. Foam is expensive ... this way you can take it with you.

Back