Listening Position (38%) the Sweet Spot for a small room

mactreouser

Hi,
I just moved in to a very small rectangle room, the longest length only 310cm :facepalm:
So according to the rules of 38% listening position, it'll be at around 117cm :cool: This is really crazy close to the monitors if monitors placement at around 1-1.5ft away from the front wall.

What's your opinions, advices, suggestions to place the speakers & listener?

p/s: Can I just make it the other way route (calculation)? Listening Position at 62%

I don't think much of anything applies in a 10ft room...there's no possible way to consider any kind of acoustically ideal configurations.
It will suck no matter what, so just make do any way you can.

Yeah, I think that's what he meant by 62%...computing it from the front wall.
My point was that in 10ft room...the term "sweet spot" doesn't really mean all that much. :)

Unless you have 4 feet of bass trapping on all 4 walls and the ceiling

Ha! That leaves 2'x2' space to work with. Sounds reasonable. :D

Though not ideal, one can still make it work if they have experience and take the time to realize what they are hearing. Lot's of testing mixes on other systems is likely.

So again, there is no sweet spot in that room at all. Just place your monitors where it fits and make the best of what you have.

Cheers!

Hi Dudes,
Appreciate your replies (although it finally became a jokes...:facepalm: haha).
Ya, just tried to configuring, at last, 62% (38% from the rear wall) is the only choice. But, Side wall vs Front wall (monitors placement) does it job, surprisingly Low End isn't boosted. Will give it a check again after one or two days ears rest.

In fact, now coming to another question -- phase cancelation. How should I check?

So...if your front-to-back is only 10' (310cm)...what's your left-to-right measurement?

There are tools to measure your room...Google "Room EQ Wizard"...but again, with a very small room, it will be very hard to get any kind of favorable measurements, or simple solutions to improve things...so you're kinda stuck with what you got, and just make the most of it.
Put up some broadband traps around...even a few inches thick will help, but the small room size will fight you on many levels.

So...if your front-to-back is only 10' (310cm)...what's your left-to-right measurement?

There are tools to measure your room...Google "Room EQ Wizard"...but again, with a very small room, it will be very hard to get any kind of favorable measurements, or simple solutions to improve things...so you're kinda stuck with what you got, and just make the most of it.
Put up some broadband traps around...even a few inches thick will help, but the small room size will fight you on many levels.

Thanks for your advices and suggestion!
Left to Right = 210cm
I think, Lower the Max SPL Level is the only way to compromise.

Yes. You are going to have issues with that small of a room. Just work with it and do what you can.

I lost my big control room because of a foundation issue recently. Had to mix a record in a 10x12 room. It was already in progress so it wasn't like I had to make extreme changes. But lots of checking my mixes on other systems to make sure it was right made it happen.

Even in a small room, it is all about you learning what your monitor speakers are telling you. You can find a way. It just takes time man.

Yes. You are going to have issues with that small of a room. Just work with it and do what you can.

I lost my big control room because of a foundation issue recently. Had to mix a record in a 10x12 room. It was already in progress so it wasn't like I had to make extreme changes. But lots of checking my mixes on other systems to make sure it was right made it happen.

Even in a small room, it is all about you learning what your monitor speakers are telling you. You can find a way. It just takes time man.

Oh. Sad news... you must be missed the Big Room so much ya...haha. "Checking Mixes on other systems" means bring the mix to car stereo, mp3 player and room stereos that we always enjoying the music to ensure it's right?

Instead of some 'sweet spot, use the ol' 'move around in the room to get an average' ploy.
This sound interesting. "Move around in the room and get the average" What does it mean? How/what should I proceed.

This sound interesting. "Move around in the room and get the average" What does it mean? How/what should I proceed.

Pace around the room. As you move the response will change, too much bass in one spot, not enough in another. Average it out. Play some familiar music and do the same to learn what spots have what effect, translate that to your mixes.

If that were me...I would use good quality headphones but move my Tannoy monitors into my living room (15'x13'x8.5' and pretty trapped out with a big sofa, soft armchair, carpet and a bay window seat full of bed linen) .

Or, fit a mezzanine floor and cover the underside with bass traps. Need a stepladder to get in. Yes! It is all impractical or a huge compromise!

Dave.

Oh. Sad news... you must be missed the Big Room so much ya...haha. "Checking Mixes on other systems" means bring the mix to car stereo, mp3 player and room stereos that we always enjoying the music to ensure it's right?

Oh yeah I did. And yes, many times back and forth to my vehicles with flash drive...

Back