let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
Forever in flux! I just dismantled it from here as I reorganize with Roland AIRA gear (TR-8, TB-3, MX-1 and System 1, VT-3 on the way!)
uncagedstudio.jpg

Not a "studio" per se but where I do all of my mixing and most of any home recording projects.

Counting the two [clouds] above the desk, there are 8 acoustic panels (16"x48" with single layer Roxul Safe'n'Sound) and 3 double layers stacked (8' ceilings) bass traps in the corners. One corner has the entrance door so only has treatment on the wall (6'x6' heavy quilt). Building and installing the panels was a summer project so I'm still getting some experience with the room sound now, but so far am pleased with it. (edit: there are also 2 double-wide "gobos" in the room - one draped with that elephant/horse/bird/tree thing.)

Attachments

• 2020-04-25 15.03.20.jpg
    2020-04-25 15.03.20.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
IMG_0402.JPG

So does this. Thought I'd treat Myself. Usa standard Tele. I've been after one of these for years but could never justify spending that kind of money. Then I caved.

Well, it's not as much a "studio" as it is a, um... "table" but I'm basking in the glow of pride from finishing the desk today.

CKeeaAC.jpg

The room is really just the family room and therefore has no treatments or anything like that. Right now the studio is in the "keep Dad's crap out of the way" position. If I'm actually using it, I'll pull it out into the room more, away from the wall. I can also add a second video display on the shelf when needed. (My old flat desk had nowhere for another screen that didn't get in the way of the monitors).

Everything other than guitars, amps, and pedals is "in the box"; Reaper to be specific. I think it's hysterical that my new 50-watt Vox guitar amp is smaller than my Scarlett interface.

I put the details of the desk construction in my DIY thread: Just finished my DIY studio desk

Last edited:
Home Studio Track and Control Room

Hey guys, this is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. We bought this house last October. It is 12 miles from the closet highway and there are no direct flight paths overhead. At the present, I am doing the same thing outside of Washington DC, in the direct flight path of Dulles International Airport. The studio is being built for ACX, Podcasting and Instrumental work.

This house is close to a collage with a very supportive Musical Program and my closest neighbor is 57 yards away. The dimensions of both the track room and control room is 12' 6" x 10' 6" from drywall to drywall.

The first thing I did was rip out the carpet in the track room and install hardwood simulated flooring.

View attachment 100335

I then removed the ceiling fan and installed a dome light. I then cut a opening to fit a 18 inch by 48 inch see through double sided window between the track room and control room with the top of the glass leaning out. The glass is 1/2" tempered clear. I was able to order them from a local glass company for $87.00.

View attachment 100336

View attachment 100337

My next step is to run the REW Program that tells me what bad freqs the room has so I can design a custom eq filter using Reaper for the control room. I will then start installing the room treatment in both rooms. I was going to build them, but Sweetwater has a great deal on a starter kit starting around $250.00. I will purchase two of them. Sweetwater also has a great guide for applying the many different types of sound treatment.

In that room, untreated (really, in almost *any* room untreated), REW is just going to show chaos. And an EQ filter is going to filter out the chaos and the problem will remain -- Only now, you won't be able to hear it.

A "base coat" of room treatment first - all the time, every time. And speaking of -- If those starter kits involve foam, I'd highly recommend against. Get a bunch of (242?) panels from GIK, maybe add a few bags of heavy insulation (just leave it right in the bags and stuff the corners of the room). You're going to need a lot (a LOT) of low end trapping in that space. Foam isn't going to handle it and EQ'ing it away isn't going to fix it - It's going to hide it.

In that room, untreated (really, in almost *any* room untreated), REW is just going to show chaos. And an EQ filter is going to filter out the chaos and the problem will remain -- Only now, you won't be able to hear it.

A "base coat" of room treatment first - all the time, every time. And speaking of -- If those starter kits involve foam, I'd highly recommend against. Get a bunch of (242?) panels from GIK, maybe add a few bags of heavy insulation (just leave it right in the bags and stuff the corners of the room). You're going to need a lot (a LOT) of low end trapping in that space. Foam isn't going to handle it and EQ'ing it away isn't going to fix it - It's going to hide it.

Hey John, thank you very much for the advice. I first learned about the REW when I watched a sound man setting it up for a remote location recording inside a gym. He further told me that it was a very good way to see where to place your mixing console as well as your monitors and it would be very helpful with the placement of the sound treatment for my control room. I have watched dozens of videos showing how this system works.

As far as the tracking room, this is what it says about the panels. "Primacoustic London room kits are made up of Broadway acoustic panels. These panels aren't really what is conventionally called foam, as they're made from a high-density 6lb-per-cubic-foot fiberglass. This denser material provides almost five times greater absorption than typical foam. That equates to less foam on the wall and more absorption for a clean look and better sound".

Again, I have watched many videos showing the before and after effects of using their system. It is impressive. You can view the kit here. I have a very limited budget for my home studio and after watching dozens of DYI videos to build them myself, I am better off just buying them. I do have the tools + knowledge to follow their instructions, I just really don't have the time.

When I get to the point of designing the sound treatment for my control room, I would love to get your advice before I invest, if you have the time. I did check out your studio and it is very impressive. I also think we may be able to do business. I have no problem recording and mixing the audio, however, I have always been taught that the file should always be sent to a mastering engineer to finalize. Thanks again for your advice.

Ow man, i didn't see all 400+ pages but i've seen some very nice creative studio's among these.
Compliments.

I'm rather jealous. This is mine. :facepalm:
https://www.mupload.nl/img/jr1opqjcbmnwg.jpg
and this funny post truly has some reality in it. LOL

Audio is a field where less is more. I often tell people that they can use their smart phone for recording. Your $200,000.00 studio is only as good as your $5 cable if it is defective. Nice sound treatment!

Aaaaaahhhhh, for real? ..... 16bit and 44.1 sound quality with build in mic? To less IMO for real recordings (although surpricingly better than expected).
I only use this app to register unexpected inspiration outside my real studio, or to kill 'wasting-waiting-time' with it. Melody and/or text. And although i use it for real, off course my image was slightly meant for fun. :D

And about your $200,000.00 studio statement, i agree. The most important is that you have to have something good to record.

I mostly advise this type of recording for people doing interviews for Podcasting. Skype and other VOIP systems are just way to compressed and they sound like crap most of the time. I have people record their side of the interview on their smartphone and then just send me the file. It works very well for this type of recording environment.

If they place the smartphone on a box 2 inches under their mouth and just talk in a natural way, this process will remove 98% of plosives and I can eq out the thin room tone. Anyway, I still like your sound treatment! :laughings:

Hey John, thank you very much for the advice. I first learned about the REW when I watched a sound man setting it up for a remote location recording inside a gym. He further told me that it was a very good way to see where to place your mixing console as well as your monitors and it would be very helpful with the placement of the sound treatment for my control room. I have watched dozens of videos showing how this system works.

As far as the tracking room, this is what it says about the panels. "Primacoustic London room kits are made up of Broadway acoustic panels. These panels aren't really what is conventionally called foam, as they're made from a high-density 6lb-per-cubic-foot fiberglass. This denser material provides almost five times greater absorption than typical foam. That equates to less foam on the wall and more absorption for a clean look and better sound".

Again, I have watched many videos showing the before and after effects of using their system. It is impressive. You can view the kit here. I have a very limited budget for my home studio and after watching dozens of DYI videos to build them myself, I am better off just buying them. I do have the tools + knowledge to follow their instructions, I just really don't have the time.

When I get to the point of designing the sound treatment for my control room, I would love to get your advice before I invest, if you have the time. I did check out your studio and it is very impressive. I also think we may be able to do business. I have no problem recording and mixing the audio, however, I have always been taught that the file should always be sent to a mastering engineer to finalize. Thanks again for your advice.

The Primacoustics will do what it says - help with flutter echo. What 1.5" and 1" thick panels WON'T do is tame low frequencies - bass and low mids. If you're close-miking everything in the tracking room, its not such a big deal there (but helps), but in your mixing room, its absolutely needed.

Anyway, I still like your sound treatment! :laughings:

Thanks Mack.

Too me personally recording is about the good music and not about the gear. The gear is only a neccesairy need for registering the music, and off course some good gear is needed to register the quality off the music. I would use the image setup in cases that it will do without any doubt. But as i usually can record better i choose for the better option.

Registering the music. I wouldn't mind if good result gear was build in a shoe box with old buttons as knobs. :lol:

The Primacoustics will do what it says - help with flutter echo. What 1.5" and 1" thick panels WON'T do is tame low frequencies - bass and low mids. If you're close-miking everything in the tracking room, its not such a big deal there (but helps), but in your mixing room, its absolutely needed.

Thanks Mike! Close micing is the plan at this time. I have some AT Pro-70s and AKG large diaphragms and a slew of SM -57s just for this purpose. The main objective is for local high school and collage kids to have a place to come and record instrumentals free of charge. When I do the control room, I will heed your advice. I have already filled out the form from a company I found on [MENTION=41682][/MENTION]Massive Master website that deals with this type of room treatment. Being able to pay for it may be another matter. :)

Latest updates to Nothing But You Recording:New Monitors-1.jpg

New monitors, added Pre-Sonus Faderport 8 and rearranged the rack for more efficient work-flow.

Back